Auberins Pid Settings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
I know I'm missing something straight in front of me but why does my PID change my setpoint value.
I set the C1 for 66.0, t for 100 just to fiddle with it & after a minute or two, my setpoint goes to 66.1, 66.3 etc. I set it at 66.0, shouldn't move.
If doing a single infusion @66deg for 60mins, then mashout @78deg for 10mins, do I set the PID for:
C1 66.0, t 60
C2 78.0, t 10
Cheers

I know I'm missing something straight in front of me but why does my PID change my setpoint value.
I set the C1 for 66.0, t for 100 just to fiddle with it & after a minute or two, my setpoint goes to 66.1, 66.3 etc. I set it at 66.0, shouldn't move.
If doing a single infusion @66deg for 60mins, then mashout @78deg for 10mins, do I set the PID for:
C1 66.0, t 60
C2 78.0, t 10
Cheers

Is it a ramp soak model?

Per subsequent post, if it is a ramp/soak you have told it to start at 66c and move to 78c over 60 minutes.

mate, i have contacted them directly and they are happy to help with any questions about their products.

Thats what i would do.

cheers

Should look like this. If it is a ramp/soak unit
C1 66.0, t 60
C2 66.0, t(insert ramp time)
C3 78.0, t 10

C2 66.0 ( ) ramp time would be? How long you want it to take to get from 66.0 to 78.0? I want it as fast as possible so I would input?

Is it a ramp soak model?

Per subsequent post, if it is a ramp/soak you have told it to start at 66c and move to 78c over 60 minutes.

Ok, I think a few sparks went off in the brain.
Can you tell me what to set for a 66.0deg mash for 60mins, then a 78.0deg mash out for 10mins.
PLEASE
It is the ramp, soak, kiln, ssr output

Crusty....... booargy just did.

These units need a setpoint and time for rest, and a setting for amp time for one temp to the next.

Mash rest at 66 deg fro 60 min:
C1 66.0, t 60

Then you need to tell it how long you want it to take to ramp up from 66 deg to 78 deg:

Then a 10 min rest at 78:
C3 78.0, t 10

Crusty....... booargy just did.

These units need a setpoint and time for rest, and a setting for amp time for one temp to the next.

Mash rest at 66 deg fro 60 min:
C1 66.0, t 60

Then you need to tell it how long you want it to take to ramp up from 66 deg to 78 deg:

Then a 10 min rest at 78:
C3 78.0, t 10

Thanks Tony,
I shouldn't be asking these questions with 3hrs sleep.
I will go sort her out.
Cheers

Haha dont thank me... thank booargy for the answer. I have one but not put power on it yet.

and dont try and work out this stiff tired..... go sleep dude!

I have a spreadsheet somewhere that is based on the rules for the ramp/soak model and the programs I run. I have been looking for it but cannot find it...bit bummed actually as I want to change my programs and will have to start from scratch!

<edit>

Found it!

The Columns labelled A(alarm setting), B=(next step), =-( A * 30 + B ) are for calculating the step value to be coded as t(time) to set the alarm off. You may or may not want to use those.

Hope this is of some help to those people using Auberins Ramp/Soak model. Thanks to Kirem for assistance in building this original set of programs for this PID. I use these all the time now though may be doing some fine tuning on the lager program.

<end edit>

View attachment PID_PROGRAM.xls

Should look like this. If it is a ramp/soak unit
C1 66.0, t 60
C3 78.0, t 10

Thanks mate, appreciate the help. :icon_cheers:

I have a spreadsheet somewhere that is based on the rules for the ramp/soak model and the programs I run. I have been looking for it but cannot find it...bit bummed actually as I want to change my programs and will have to start from scratch!

<edit>

Found it!

The Columns labelled A(alarm setting), B=(next step), =-( A * 30 + B ) are for calculating the step value to be coded as t(time) to set the alarm off. You may or may not want to use those.

Hope this is of some help to those people using Auberins Ramp/Soak model. Thanks to Kirem for assistance in building this original set of programs for this PID. I use these all the time now though may be doing some fine tuning on the lager program.

<end edit>

Top stuff FJ.
Will learn from that spread sheet.
Cheers

Ok,
Done some testing & have it almost sorted. One problem I am encountering is the final temp rest time.
Purely as an example I want to start at 45deg & end at 50deg using 3 steps or ramps.
C1: 45, t: 5mins
C2: 45, ramp to 48, t: 1min
C3: 48, t: 2mins
C4: 48, ramp to 50, t: 1min
C5: 50, t: 10mins ( this is where the problem is )

Once getting to 50deg, it doesn't hold my set 10mins.
I am obviously doing something wrong as all the rest of the steps, ramps work perfectly.
Should C6: be set?

you need to have another step. It ramps to C5 temp and then there's no end temp of the step so it'll drop

C6: 50, t: 0 (does this hold it) (or maybe -1 which stops the program - I need to look at the manual for the additional codes)

<snip>
C6: 50, t: 0 (does this hold it) (or maybe -1 which stops the program - I need to look at the manual for the additional codes)

Yup a 0 time sets it in Hold mode.

Watch using the alarm steps from my spreadsheet, I have to recode the spreadsheet to allow for the next step to turn alarm off after pressing RUN again and then moving onto another hold step for mash out. Will consume a couple of steps, but figure I can ditch my Acid rests and CIP program. At the moment setting it to run again just moves to the STOP step and it is not really what I want, unless you want to listen to the alarm for 15 minutes whilst holding mash out :(

you need to have another step. It ramps to C5 temp and then there's no end temp of the step so it'll drop

Thanks heaps mate.
Put it through a 3 step programme & after your advice, after the last rest ( mash out ) it goes to hold mode, so working perfectly.

Yup a 0 time sets it in Hold mode.

Watch using the alarm steps from my spreadsheet, I have to recode the spreadsheet to allow for the next step to turn alarm off after pressing RUN again and then moving onto another hold step for mash out. Will consume a couple of steps, but figure I can ditch my Acid rests and CIP program. At the moment setting it to run again just moves to the STOP step and it is not really what I want, unless you want to listen to the alarm for 15 minutes whilst holding mash out :(

Thanks again FJ.
Even with printed instructions, these things are obviously smarter than me.
My system, with water only, ramps in excess of 2deg minute so will factor in the ramping time till next step making sure the actual temp doesn't lag behind the SV.
Cheers

Another question I had & forgot to ask is time set vs actual time.
After ramping from 66.0 to 78.0, ( 6mins ) allowing 2deg / min heat up speed for my setup, I noticed that my 10min mashout became only 4mins due to taking 6mins to reach 78.0. This is something I need to factor in to my mash out time?
Eg: Set mash out time for 16mins if I want a 10min mash out or is there another way around it?
Cheers

there must be a wrong setting in the steps if that's happening.
Ca:66 t:6mins - ramp from 66 to 78 over 6mins (set this for however long you want)
Cb:78 t:10mins - holds 78 for 10mins
Cc:78 t:0 - hold point in the program

there must be a wrong setting in the steps if that's happening.
Ca:66 t:6mins - ramp from 66 to 78 over 6mins (set this for however long you want)
Cb:78 t:10mins - holds 78 for 10mins
Cc:78 t:0 - hold point in the program

I will re-test & make sure I haven't set something wrong.
Cheers

Back