Attaching Qd's To A Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never have any issues with any of my disconnects. I don't even have to pull the ring up - the outward pressure on the balls does this.

I do pretty much pull my kegs completely apart every time.

Also, I think if you are using the o-ring on the post that came from syrup times they can actually be slightly to big OD which could also be causing problems.

You would think with the number around the world that they only use them once then chuck them.

Buy shares in Cornelius.

Good article, thanks Nick.

Still curious how they end up in the HB world.

I read somewhere that the syrup-in-bag system is/ has been replacing the cornys for serving softdrinks in the U S and A.

Freshly rebuilt kegs and new disconnects are as they are, virgins. They take some breaking in. As noted use lube, it will help.
A good measure of lube and it can take a bit of forceful persuasion the first few times (as long as you are sure it's in the right hole the disconnect is on the right post)

My QDs are a pain in the neck. They are really hard to put on where I apply a lot of muscle to get them on and they quite often cut my hands up because I have used so much pressure to get them on. Quite often a lot of swear words said to the bloody things but all is forgiven when the beer comes out.

I also have the issue that my kegs are in a little bar fridge so I always have the spare keg at the back (on the gas) and when trying to put the beer out QD on the post without pulling the kegs out just seems like an impossible task. I still spend 5 minutes trying to do it rather then the 30 seconds it takes me to re arrange my kegs.

The old twist and push method worked a treat and I was able to get the QD's on and off no problems.

Next step, to buy some beer line, tap NR valve.....the list goes on..

Thanks heaps.

Pinlocks much easier the Betamax of the kegging world,

I think the article is inaccurate. Many of the second hand cornies I have bought still have syrup in them, that's right, syrup not soda-as-served.
The article refers to "premix" sodas. I was under the impression that the system is called "postmix" and has been for decades. The fairly runny syrup in sent from the cornies to the fonts where it is diluted with carbonated water.

Well who do you trust if not Wikipedia.

AFAIK cornies are no longer used in the commercial world, it's now bag in a box. My call centre, amongst tens of thousands of other customers, handles after hours for Schweppes tech support calls from pubs and clubs etc (the system always stuffs up on a Friday or Saturday Night of course) and it's all bag in box nowadays in Aus.

Really? Seems rather silly for a company to use both standards?

Yep my coca cola cornie, thicker steel and metal handles, takes the standard B lock QD's. Poppets are different though.

PUBS has a couple of those as club kegs and yes the poppet is a PITA as it lurks behind a little mesh screen that has a ring-clip thing holding it in place internally.

I don't think so. If they had done so then the posts would have been identical ball locks to the Pepsi variety. However they are (irritatingly) quite different internally, as I discovered when I did a club keg for PUBS and got a gas leak out through the post. "Not a problem, whip ye post off and replace poppet which I just happen to have one in stock"

"Whaa???? what's all this alien stuff in here???"

alien.jpg

a couple of things;

i have 4 coke kegs that all have ball lock posts, they appear to be original and at the same time different to the pepsi posts

if the disconnects are too tight, try changing the post o-rings, they appear to expand over time, perhaps absorbing lube, i recently changed all my o-rings as each keg emptied and this fixed the problem

Back