Attaching Qd's To A Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Just bought my first keg and reg and some QD's. I was playing around with the QD's trying to fit them onto the posts but could only get one on.

Is the procedure to lift up the collar, push the QD onto the post and slide the collar back down? I didnt want to push too hard and break the QD but after leaning on it with my body weight it still wouldnt slip down over the post.

I also noticed the rubber o rings seemed dry and squeeked as the QD was pushed over them. Do these need to be kept lubd all the time with keg lube?

Thanks for the help, yes I did search but only found posts on removing stuck QD's.

The gas and beer disconnects are slightly different sizes - make sure you have them the right way round.

I'm no pro but I recall reading that there is a slight difference between gas and liquid disconnects, but that with enough applied pressure they will clip onto the 'other' post. I don't suppose you've been given two of the same QD's?

This is for ball lock only, of course.

Edit: verification of ball lock...

I had the exact same issue this morning after receiving my QD's.

I eventually worked out that I had to lift the collar, push it on, and then start twisting the QD around until the collar popped back down and it sealed. Without the twisting it would just get stuck - I guess this is where keg lube must come in handy.

one is grey=gas and the other is black=beer.

I made sure they were put on the correct posts. I managed to get one on but can't remember which one now.

Get some lube, like all things tight it helps get it in there. I use KJ jelly on the kegs, works a treat and is cheap enough.

Get some lube, like all things tight it helps get it in there. I use KJ jelly on the kegs, works a treat and is cheap enough.

Do you mean KY jelly? I think we have some of that in the bathoom somewhere.. ;) So its ok to use, doesn't taint the beer?

Did you buy your QD's in Springvale or Yarraville? :D

The reason I ask, I had some of the cheapie QD's from the "non-sponsor in Springvale", and had the same initial problem. A bit of keg lube should help in the short term.

It's worth forking out the money for the branded QD's from Grain and Grape.

Do it once, do it properly.

Did you buy your QD's in Springvale or Yarraville? :D

The reason I ask, I had some of the cheapie QD's from the "non-sponsor in Springvale", and had the same initial problem. A bit of keg lube should help in the short term.

It's worth forking out the money for the branded QD's from Grain and Grape.

Do it once, do it properly.

Springvale... Damn I thought they were all the same, just grey and black.

I also bought a second hand KK reg for $40 which doesnt seem to be all that good in the quality department. But will do or now I guess.

Do you mean KY jelly? I think we have some of that in the bathoom somewhere.. ;) So its ok to use, doesn't taint the beer?

Yep the KY, how did I type KJ ??

Nope no issues with tainting the beer, just get the plain one. Unless you want minty or strawberry beer, but really minimal should actually come into contact with the beer itself (I've never tried using the flavoured ones). I've still got the original tube from when I started kegging a few years back, a bit on both posts and also the lid's o-ring.

QldKev

I have 4 kegs and sometimes the QD's are very difficult to put on the kegs. Just requires a bit of muscle... and if the muscle is not there, a hammer always helps it along. Hammering it on whilst the base is pulled back of course...

Using a hammer is far from good practice, and obviously can end up damaging the QD and/or Keg valve (duh). Keg lube would be a better solution, but i don't have any so a hammer works for me until something breaks -then I'll invest in lube and new seals.

My QD's very rarely are hard to put on.. don't know why, just happens on the odd occasion. Maybe one of my kegs valve rubber thing needs to be replaced and thats the issue, and the 'rare occassion' is when its turn cycles through and it ends up in my fridge again.

Giving a twist when applying downward pressure also helps. I have also found a spray with starsan helps lubricate the posts.
If using KY be sure to remove the short'n'curlys...

Yep the KY, how did I type KJ ??

Nope no issues with tainting the beer, just get the plain one. Unless you want minty or strawberry beer, but really minimal should actually come into contact with the beer itself (I've never tried using the flavoured ones). I've still got the original tube from when I started kegging a few years back, a bit on both posts and also the lid's o-ring.

QldKev

What if the one I have is chocolate flavour will that still be okay???? :p :D

No im cetain its just plain old KY. Will give that a go. I will also exert more force too, I didnt want to risk breaking them but if Nossil hits them with a hammer I should be right to apply more pressure.

I took a QD (black) back to craftbrewer a while back because there was an issue with the balls not retracting - so it was unpossible to get it on. Anthony tried it with some lube and couldn't get it on either, so they swapped it.

Plenty of double entendres in that sentence if you fellas wanna run with it.

I think the issue is some QDs are not well molded, and there's a bit of plastic in the way of the balls - all 4 will only retract in one (hard to find) rotational position.

Lube does not always solve this issue.

EDIT: and yeah, I've tried with all my might to get a beer QD on the gas post by accident. Jammed it on GOOD. One cannot proceed IN through the OUT door.

Freshly rebuilt kegs and new disconnects are as they are, virgins. They take some breaking in. As noted use lube, it will help.

Rather than simply lifting the collar and pushing down to connect or pulling up to disconnect, i find it easier to twist whilst doing this. It makes a difference when doing it inside a kegerator where you only have just enough clearance to get your hand in there.

The rule is that you need to poorly fit a Beer Out post and spill a load of beer to fully absorb the fact that they have to 'click' into place, even though they are sometimes a bitch to get on just right. Gas In post rule is that you must, on at least 3 separate occasions, attempt to fit the Beer Out QD to the Gas In QD. How you travel with that is not part of the aforementioned rule.

I wouldn't be using a hammer on them though, even though they probably deserve it sometimes.

The trick is to be pulling the collar up before you put them on/lift them off, but those collars can be sticky with beer/crappy plastic, or just plain awkward through all the lines etc.

Lube is definitely good. There should (probably) also be a dimple in the keg lid to show the Gas In Post (assuming no one swopped the posts once upon a time.)

My kegs, like many on here, are stamped with their origins - various obscure US Towns/States and every time they 'bitch' me, I like to think on the thousands of mofos down the years they have already bitched on, all working in the service of Pepsi Cola in some way.

OT But mine has Pepsi Cola stamped on it too. Is it only Pepsi that uses these or does Coca Cola come in these kegs as well. And while Im asking silly questions are these in use in Australia? Ive worked in pubs before years ago and the syrup came in bladders?

And one final silly question how do they go from being used as Pepsi syrup kegs to being sold in HB shops? Does Pepsi retire them out after a certain age or something?

OT But mine has Pepsi Cola stamped on it too. Is it only Pepsi that uses these or does Coca Cola come in these kegs as well. And while Im asking silly questions are these in use in Australia? Ive worked in pubs before years ago and the syrup came in bladders?

And one final silly question how do they go from being used as Pepsi syrup kegs to being sold in HB shops? Does Pepsi retire them out after a certain age or something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornelius_keg

Back