Astringent Partial Mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barfridge

Small fridge, powerful thirst
Reaction score
Hi,
I did my first partial weekend, and tasting it in the fermenter, it is quite astringent. Reading up on Palmer, it look like I have mashed at too high and temp and sparged badly (both of which I think are true).

My question is...is there anything I can do about it now? Or is it more a case of learn from this one, and do better next time?

cheers

Well done Jeff on going the next step.

Not sure, I dont think there is much you can do, except wait and see. Always be wary of tasting from the fermenter, or tasting from cold conditioning, can taste so different to how it ends up in the bottle. I assume you mashed 1 or 2 kg, so there is still a fair bit of extract around to dilute the mash.

I did a couple of Grumpys masterbrews that I thought tasted astringent, and in my opinion it came from their recomendation to boil the grains rather than steep. But after 4 to 6 months in the bottle that taste disappeared and they became particularly good beers. So hang in there and give the brew a bit of time.

Guest Lurker said:
I did a couple of Grumpys masterbrews that I thought tasted astringent, and in my opinion it came from their recomendation to boil the grains rather than steep. But after 4 to 6 months in the bottle that taste disappeared and they became particularly good beers. So hang in there and give the brew a bit of time.
I've found exactly the same thing, the astringent flavour goes after some aging. I'm drinking the irish red that tasted really really astringent, but after 3 weeks CC it's all gone.

Thanks guys, reassuring news :)

seems this is a recurring things on here (especially for me)...something goes wrong, I ask "how do I fix it?", and the reply usually is "give it time, it'll sort itself out".

once again, thanks for all your help and support. And it will pay off for you in the end too, as I'll be inflicting slightly less bad beers on you at the next Perth meet :p

Back