Astringent Flavours

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barfridge

Small fridge, powerful thirst
Reaction score
I have done 2 partials so far, and both have suffered from horrible astringent aftertastes, presumably from tannins. One has been bottled, and the other is still in a CC cube. Is it worth bottling this one? Will the flavour improve with time?

From what I remember tannins are tiny, one of the few things to pass through high grade water filters, so I know I'm stuck with them.

From my research it seems my pH is too high. Apart from adding a little acid, is there much else I can do in the way of ingredients to help this?

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Hi
I had a long period with Astringant flavours coming through my beers and I finally nailed it down to a brew house bug that I never knew from this day where it came from.
I replaced all my hoses and fermenter taps and it was still there. So I replaced all my fermenters in the end.
I now soak all brewing equipment in costic soda and use idiophor before brewing and it has finally gone this year. Reminds me it time to throw out my hoses and get some new ones as I think my old problem was there so i replace them every six months.
So your astringant flavers may be an infection that raises its ugly head after a month or two in the bottle. The Schwarzbier that won the nationals last year was a fine examle as 3 weeks after the event I could not drink the beer.
Ray

BarFridge

If it is tanins - they will go/diminish with time/aging - might take upto six months - so just bottle and leave for a while.

Barfridge,
An over-dose of hops can be described as astringent too. Especially if high alpha hops are over-used
Darren

yes i think i have experienced the high alpha hops 'astringency' when going OTT on 10% northern brewer.

Thanks for all the help guys, its most appreciated.

Ray: I've done kit brews inbetween these partials, and they had no problems, so I think I can rule out infection.

Darren: the first brew was a bock, which was lightly hopped (25g hallertau (6.6%) @ 60 mins, and 25g @ 10 mins), so it wasnt overdone.

GMK: thats the answer I was hoping to hear. I'll hide them away for a while, and hopefully wont do what I did with my last batch of strange beer - drink it while its bad, and have none left for when it finally gets decent enough to enjoy.

Barfridge

A question about your partial technique - how high did you heat the water/wort with the grains in it? if it is too high > 75C, then you risk the extraction of tannins from the grains.

Cheers
Pedro

Pedro: you might be onto something here. I have been raising temps to 80 degrees for mashout (sounds like I've ballsed it up)

Also barfridge id be adding a teaspoon or so of gypsum to your partial mash that helps reduce tanin extraction, read it somewhere but cant remember where.
Peter

barfridge said:
I have been raising temps to 80 degrees for mashout (sounds like I've ballsed it up)
Barfridge

The recommended mashout is not more than 75C (odd reference to 78C (EDIT:eek:riginal post said 70C) floats around). While probably not the total cause of your problems, maybe just one part of the jigsaw.

Cheers
Peter

Hey again Barfridge,
Could it be your extract? Sometimes an extract can exhibit a tang that could also be described as astringent.
Try to get the freshest extract you can and store it cool.
What types of malts did you add to your mini-mash or partial?

Back