Asphalt Steam Roller For Grain?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freezkat

Reaction score
I was just thinking...If a highway steam roller could be used to prepare raw grain?

Yes clean it so there isn't any asphalt or other solvents on it. If one could lay down a plate of steel then dump the grain on it, then flatten it, would it work?

I haven't a clue about steam rollers temperatures or the temperatures required to prepare grains.

Are you trying to gelatinize them?

It could work :lol: but what would the benefit be... seems like a little overkill :p

Sounds like this years crop is beauty :D

Actually you may be onto some pioneering thing maybe you will be able to make wholegrain barley paper, but I suppose you may as well just put your grains through a paper mill.

This setup is commonly known as a "Mans Mill". For this you'll need a 50 tonne hoist and two steam rollers.

Step 1. Knurl the front rollers with a dremel.

Step2. Pull up the front of each steam roller so that their front wheels have a gap the width of a credit card all along. When you run your grain through make sure that you only have one steam roller running, the other roller is free. This prevents shredding of the grain husk.

Step 3. Run the grain through at the slowest speed possible.

Mills must be pretty expensive where you are...

This setup is commonly known as a "Mans Mill". For this you'll need a 50 tonne hoist and two steam rollers.

Step 1. Knurl the front rollers with a dremel.

Step2. Pull up the front of each steam roller so that their front wheels have a gap the width of a credit card all along. When you run your grain through make sure that you only have one steam roller running, the other roller is free. This prevents shredding of the grain husk.

Step 3. Run the grain through at the slowest speed possible.

Seems like a lot of work to crush 5kg of grain :(

I was just thinking...If a highway steam roller could be used to prepare raw grain?

Yes clean it so there isn't any asphalt or other solvents on it. If one could lay down a plate of steel then dump the grain on it, then flatten it, would it work?

I haven't a clue about steam rollers temperatures or the temperatures required to prepare grains.

I've also though if you stored the unmalted grain in between your arse crack, being a warm moist environment, it should germinate. Once it is at the correct stage of germination simply walk to break off the shoots. Then to create the malt level desired eat varying heat levels of curry.

Don't poo before you use the grain, otherwise although you will end up with a chilli beer, it will taste like shit.

QldKev

Why not go the local quarry and use their rock crusher
IMG_0958.jpg

I had a feeling I would get goof-ball answers.

Felten asked the best question. Am i shooting for turning a raw grain into something that could be dumped into the mash ...yes. Like rolled rye, rolled oats, rolled barley etc...

If a road crew would happen to be out my front door. Could I take advantage of that to make a brewing ingredient?

If a road crew would happen to be out my front door. Could I take advantage of that to make a brewing ingredient?

Straight answer - yes rolled unmalted grain! Would still need mashing though.

Most of it would be squished into the grooves of the bitumen though and turn it to flour.

Most of it would be squished into the grooves of the bitumen though and turn it to flour.
Second comment would be right, first not so.
Rolled Barley, Wheat, Oats, Corn etc are steamed until soft then rolled while still so.
They would otherwise just shatter into tiny pieces.
1384_little_britain_2003_tv.jpg"Dust"

tis still rolled though Nige! Certainly agree no heat so it would damage the gain big time!

Second comment would be right, first not so.
Rolled Barley, Wheat, Oats, Corn etc are steamed until soft then rolled while still so.
They would otherwise just shatter into tiny pieces.

Gentlemen, I refer you to the OP comment below.
If one could lay down a plate of steel then dump the grain on it, then flatten it, would it work?
Sorry Nige & Rav's, in your haste to make fun of of the OP you missed an important detail. I don't see how the grain would be in contact with the bitumen (apart from the very difficult to remove residue on the roller).

How would cracking it/rolling it turn it into flour? Depending upon your brewing system, perhaps a fine crush would improve your brewhouse efficiency? Does not Coopers crush their grist to flour-like consistency and reach +110% brewhouse efficiency?

And no one uses unmalted grains in their brew? Besides that, does 'raw' mean unmalted or unmilled? I am making a big leap of faith and assuming (you know what they say about that) that the OP may have meant unmilled.

Do you know of a steam roller used in roadworks? I thought they went out in the early 1900's? If my memory serves me correctly, it was that they were steam driven, not steam heated rollers? As far as I know, most these days are vibrating steel rollers, or just rollers with many tyres, I do not know of any that apply heat to the rollers. I am not a roads engineer though.

The practicality of the OP is however, ludicrous. For my money I would go for Ekul's 'Mans Mill'.
In contrast to this, I am of the opinion that FrozenCat is alright, despite being a Seppo he's married to an Aussie chick who's giving him the cold shoulder, cut the bro some slack. The OP is a crazy idea with little to no merit but hey haven't we all looked at industrial and construction stuff and said, hmmm I reckon there could be a brewing use for that?

:ph34r: I really ought to keep my fingers (and thus typed thoughts) to myself when tiddly.
Ha, ha ha, ha, HA!
:lol:

Unmalted barley will mostly gelatinise at mash temperatures (61-62c from one google ref), depending on the type of barley and probably other conditions. So all you really have to do is crack it (with a steam roller) and chuck it in the mash.

ok you get 2 sheets of 10mm thick stainless steel 2metrex2metre.

put your first sheet down on the road and pour your 5 kg of grain on it.

now place the other ss sheet on top of the grain. now its time for -
Double%20Drum%20Ride-On%20Roller.jpg

now lift up your top sheet and collect grain and put into your mash tun.

Back