Ashnan²

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan_madness

Reaction score
Ashnan, or Asnan, was a goddess of grain in Mesopotamia, and a goddess of drunkenness, wine & grains in Sumeria.

Over the last 12 months I have been busy planning and designing my new all electric HERMs.

Ashnan²
gallery_25427_1158_58121.jpg

Construction started in November 2013 with half the frame and since then I have added the pots and basic electrical. I have brewed on the Ashnan² twice using the HLT and MLT but pumping it across to my old BIAB stand for gas fired boiling.

Here you can see what half of the rig looks like. I will be adding the other half tomorrow and bead blasting the frame either Sunday or Monday.
gallery_25427_1158_1641008.jpg

I had originally planned on having a 70L HLT with the 5500W element in it so that it would heat the lower volume faster. Unfortunately, I found that I needed close to 100L of sparge for a quad batch on one side, so I have decided to use one of the 150L pots for the HLT.

I have March pumps running one side and Chugger's on the other. Both the MLT's drain from the bottom of the modified CB pots.
gallery_25427_1158_810472.jpg

I bent up the HERMs coils out of 4 meters of 1/2" instrument tube and fitted them in to some stainless tubing that I found at the recyclers. Each HX has a 4000W element running through the center of the coil.
gallery_25427_1158_119379.jpg

The brains of the Ashnan² is the BCS-462. I have just about finished the electrical work. All I'm waiting for is the 20" touch screen that will be my control panel.​
gallery_25427_1158_2524803.jpg

I will have more photos to come after the weekend.

If anyone has any crazy ideas to add to the Ashnan² please message me.

Freakin love it. Looks fantastic. What sized batches do you think you'll aim for?

Bloody hell Nathan, it's got more switches and wires than my meter box!

The most technical looking bit of my kit is the bayonet fitting into the natural gas outlet on the wall.

Very impressive looking.

Any other ideas?

Can you get it to mow your lawns?

Well done!

Scott

Holy shitballs that control panel is the neatest work I have seen on anyone's rig here, I applaud you sir obviously you are a sparky!

Camo6 said:
Freakin love it. Looks fantastic. What sized batches do you think you'll aim for?
I am hoping to produce 110L per side so that I can fill 2 50L kegs per batch

Jerry said:
Bloody hell Nathan, it's got more switches and wires than my meter box!

The most technical looking bit of my kit is the bayonet fitting into the natural gas outlet on the wall.

Very impressive looking.

Any other ideas?

Can you get it to mow your lawns?

Well done!

Scott
Now there's an idea. They have those roving vacuums why not a roving mower.

Lakey said:
Holy shitballs that control panel is the neatest work I have seen on anyone's rig here, I applaud you sir obviously you are a sparky!
No, not a sparky as such. I have done a TAFE course in electrical and I have a couple of mates that are electrical engineers that like beer ;) .

Yob said:
Thats just about the tidiest control box Ive seen,

currently wiping the jizz off my computer screens

:beer:
You have to release more if you're able to cover screens!

All went well today. The frame is now ready for bead blasting. Here is a photo from around 4pm when I was having some :drinks: to keep me going.
gallery_25427_1158_6480726.jpg

That's a brew stand!

You get that mower thing happening and your lawns will be done in a flash.

Not considering a move to Melbourne are you? You could come in real handy.

Again, really impressive.

Cheers,

Scott

I finally got around to finishing the frame this afternoon.
gallery_25427_1158_5871815.jpg

Next I will be fitting the pots and plumbing.

It sickens me how good that is.

Awesome work :beerbang:

Surprisingly the frame itself is not that heavy. I have just been moving it around by hand.

The bit of a pad that you can see in the back ground is for another shed just as big to house the brewery and other toys.

Still months off. It is still waiting for the BCC to pull their finger out and approve it. I am seriously considering using my current brew house (container).

That looks fantastic! Is it just or is that control panel smiling

Back