Asher Blogging In From Brisbane Airport

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asher

Junctyard Brewing
Reaction score
Evening all

I find myself at the Brisbane airport after a very looong week on Lihir Islands (A saller group of islands off the top right of the main(er) land PNG).

Beer scene at the mine site was limitted to say the least but a can of 'SP Lager' was suprisingly refreshing at the end of a day tramping through Piping and Instrumentation drawings and chasing pipes in the tropical heat!

Anyway

Perth flight is delayed by a couple of hours so I head to the bar... What do I find but a wall of megaswill at extraodinary prices!! Well since works paying... and I've got a few hours to kill I decide to refresh my pallet on Aussie lager/import swill... heres my list in order of most favourite to least:

1: Stella 5.2%
2: Pure Blond 4.8% - I know... but its about as unofensive as you can get, kind of like a water spacer really...
3: VB 4.8%- that bottle shape kinda works for me
4: Corona - It tasted like lemon... When did it drop to 4.6%? the world is getting ripped off!
5: Carlton Cold 4.6%: I remember what a flourescant light bulb tastes like now :)
6: Cascade premium 5.0%... the hops, what little there is are just toilet lollies

I actually loged on to join the abuse forum about why the WA entries didnt make the ANAWABS... I entered six cracker beers and am still mighty pissed my Mash Paddle entry was not judged...... Westbrew or whatever their calling themselves ATM are a bunch of c()nts.... If you want something done properly in WA... you have to do it yourself..... havent heard any reason yet so just my blind blog opinion...

plane boarding soon..
sorry about spelling
CYA in Melbourne

Asher

Hahaha...hope the frequent flyer miles were worth it.

:lol:

I remember getting flown to melbourn in a big hurry with some faulty sensors to be repaired. They were the sensors that controled the level of the valve that fed steam to the turbine in the power station i worked at.

It was a huge couple of days....... got to work to find the place completly quiet and got told "your it son...... noone else is here". I had only worked there for 2 months and believe me there is more to a power station than you learn in 2 months :huh:

We tracked it to the sensors and got told there was a plane waiting for me. Got there 10 min before check in finnished and got explosives tested after the metal probe sensors went through the metal detectors. Noone would sit within 20 meters of me in the lounge after that epesode with red flashing lights and 100dB beepers.

flew to melbourn, went to motel. They were over booked so they upgraded me free to a luxury spa room..... ya :super:

$9 a pop becks and heiny's in the barfrige. sat in the spa and drank em all on the company!

went to sensor company office next morning, worked with their techo's and found problem under microscope. small ribon cable rubbing on case was shorting it out. Rang boss at power station and told them how to fix the one faulty sensor they had left on site with a piece of sticky tape!....... no shit we fixed it with sticktape!

With the turbine running again the return was a bit more leasurly so i pulled up at the Quantas lounge at Melbourn Airport........ middle of summer....... Hanging for a beer after a long couple of days and i find the bars Aircon broken.

So i sit and sweat while drinking $8.50 stubbies of half cold Boags Premium (best i could see in the fridge) and read the paper..... which was marked up by 20c.

It was not nice...... i sat and thought quietly i could make a 50 liter keg of better beer for a 6 pack of this.

But like the minibar beers in the motel room.......... i enjoyed it because it was all there was.

Gota love airport bars hey :)

cheers

Asher
The queue of unhappy people is getting mighty long.Hopefully the Westbrew fiasco will be a distant memory next year with a better delivery system in place for us Westcoast brewers.

Cheers
Dave

Hey Asher

I spent lots of time in Brisbane airport. Go down to the Virgin terminal, there is a Tall Tale pub, which has St Arnou pale and pilsner on tap, does Little Creatures in bottles. The steak sandwich isnt bad and the chips are good. Just remember you wont hear the Qantas calls down there.

Edit: Oh yeah. And if you sit at the bench by the door, there is a power point you cab plug the laptop into.

Glad I didnt enter Anawabs this year!

I fly very infrequently and the last time I was at Bris Domestic the best option was Heineken. Oh, and they had a special at one of the bars of two Crownies for six dollars.

Sounds like things have improved out of sight :lol:

What else do you expect? Brisbane now has no micros or even James Squire or Little Creatures sized breweries so it's very much a beer desert with a couple of oases like the Elephant and Wheelbarrow or Pig n Whistle. But not the airport.

Edit: Guestlurker, you beat me to the post, might try the St Arnaud, thanks for the heads up. The airport is on my way home from work by sheer coincidence.

Asher Serves you right , you cant beat WA for the best beers, be it home brewed or local micros.Next time take your own , you know what your getting. :beerbang:
GB

in melb airport theres a bar with at least 15 different beers on tap, sure 9 might be swill but the rest sorta make up for it.

ror.jpg

BTW.... I refused to review Crown or an any mid's....

Got to draw the line somewhere.

Asher

i'm kind of dissapointed 'coop soup' wasn't reviewed ;)

I have been spending a lot more time in airplanes and airports over the last few months with my new job. Agreed - WA is good, the terminal pubs and Qantas lounge have some good brew. Melbourne does suck, I had a $8.50 Stella there yesterday. Not great.

Flew Virgin for the first time in years yesterday too. Choice of beers? VB or Crown. I went the Crown, at $7.20 or something for the privilage. It's terrible beer.

Cheers - Mke

Qantas gold card member
Free beer and good beer

Batz

Back