Asbestos Replacement?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wortgames

'Draught' is not a beer style - it's a lifestyle
Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone know of a good, thinnish, heat insulating material (and where to get it)? Asbestos would be ideal but you can't get it any more (something about coughing up blood and a lingering, agonising death).

I looked into getting some heat resistant sheets to put around my kettle to stop the flames and heat from getting to the valves and hoses... Anyway I can't remember the name of the company however I found quite a lot of suppliers in the yellow pages under heating/ heater supplies etc... give it a go.

I will have a look tomorrow to see if I can find a name

aircell building insulation? what do you need it for

Kaowool is one, not sure on suppliers

Any welding supplier will sell flame proff blanket which also insulates

Cheers

I'm pretty sure Bunnings/Mitre 10 would have fire blankets, and probably those pink bats for ceilings.

Fireproof rockwool probably comes as fluff or flock, and you would probably also get that at the same place.

Thanks guys, I need something dense and hard, like asbestos sheet - it's actually to stand between a potbelly stove and a stack of split firewood that sits just a few inches behind it (no choice of locations). The sheet may even contact the potbelly at times, so it needs to be pretty good as the stove can get red hot on the long cold Melbourne winter evenings!

To keep this beer-related I will probably want something similar when I get my NASA burner, to protect some nearby wooden shelving / walls etc...

I had a similar issue with a wooden fire surround that was getting too hot (it actually smouldered and caught fire one exciting night). I chased up specs on fire rated cement fibre type building sheeting. Eventually discovered that these sheets are mostly designed to survive a fire ONCE, but not repeated fires. So I stuck a mask on and used asbestos to line the surround.

Off a wall I pulled down in my house. Plenty of asbestos houses and fences still here in the west.

Asbetos- Man all i can say is that you guys are keen!

Will

I jsut use (8mm?) cement sheet, you can also get villaboard or blueboard (hardiflex) which may be a bit stronger.

Back