Asahi kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leyther

Reaction score
My mate has a couple of these which he is offering to me but these have very different connections than the corny kegs i have. I'm unsure if it's worth bothering with them as I would need to buy New connector, any idea on what I need to use these so I can Price up.

received_1321780374540774.jpeg

That looks to be a DIN type S keg fitting. Fittings should be available from suppliers of commercial dispense equipment.

Edit: I first thought it was a D until I looked at the large pic

Looks like a type A coupler. I have one actually, no longer needed, will sell it to you for $30 plus postage (from postcode 2913)

I think bevan is right actually - my mistake. In any case I have a coupler that fits an Asahi keg that I'm happy to get rid of (IF i can find it in the mancave)

mtb said:
I think bevan is right actually - my mistake. In any case I have a coupler that fits an Asahi keg that I'm happy to get rid of (IF i can find it in the mancave)
I'm interested, postage would be to Moorabbin, 3189 if you can let me know rough postage costs. Thanks

mtb said:
BTW how do you open these also? do you need a special tool for that?

Leyther said:
BTW how do you open these also? do you need a special tool for that?
Step 1, lube up and prepare for a pain in the ass
Step 2, depress the little valve to release any pressure (you do not want to be fiddling with that spear if the keg is pressurised)
Step 3 search "asahi keg spear removal" or something of the sort on Youtube. Example

Last edited by a moderator:
mtb said:
Step 1, lube up and prepare for a pain in the ass
Step 2, depress the little valve to release any pressure (you do not want to be fiddling with that spear if the keg is pressurised)
Step 3 search "asahi keg spear removal" or something of the sort on Youtube. Example

Hmm.... sounds like a lot f hassle, maybe I'll pass on them after all, I cant be arsed hammering away each time to fill it and Keg King want about $70 bucks for the tool, thats a 2nd hand corny alone.

I should've clarified in my earlier post, but if you have a coupler, spear removal is easy (insert and engage coupler, twist, remove). I forgot it's only a PITA to remove the spear without a coupler.

Coodgee said:
How would you clean it?
Another good point, not easy to get into and wipe but I guess a good clean with cleaner and desantiser may suffice. Still sounds like too much hassle and I would also need to get the adapters for the beer/gas disconnects so more $$, sounded like a good idea initially!

If you are going to a get a few for nothing then spend some cash on a tool and coupler then it's worth it.

I have a few commercial kegs but to be honest it's the size that makes them attractive. Cornies are much more user friendly for homebrewers.

If you can get the kegs cheap (under $50 each) it's worthwhile, IMO.
Cleaning would be your biggest problem, you'd want some sort of keg cleaning wand like this because your hand/arm won't fit in.
Adapters for beer/gas disconnects wouldn't be too problematic as the couplers have barbed connectors, you'd simply attach beer/gas line direct to the coupler instead of using a disconnect.

Tahoose said:
If you are going to a get a few for nothing then spend some cash on a tool and coupler then it's worth it.

I have a few commercial kegs but to be honest it's the size that makes them attractive. Cornies are much more user friendly for homebrewers.
These are only 19L kegs so no benefit from being larger.

mtb said:
If you can get the kegs cheap (under $50 each) it's worthwhile, IMO.
Cleaning would be your biggest problem, you'd want some sort of keg cleaning wand like this because your hand/arm won't fit in.
Adapters for beer/gas disconnects wouldn't be too problematic as the couplers have barbed connectors, you'd simply attach beer/gas line direct to the coupler instead of using a disconnect.
I'll let you know about the coupler if/when I get them.

Cheers

To clean, release gas first via coupler. then remove posts (if used) from coupler and invert to drain.

Add barb connectors to coupler and recycle hot cleaning solution through the keg, via pump if available, while inverted.

10+ minute hot wash, hot rinse, sanitiser rinse and drain. Fill via coupler and carbonate.

and modify your individual method to suit.

Search for Using Sanke(y) kegs

If you get the tool to remove the coupler, you can do an even lower tech version of this by shoving a length of pvc on a submersible pump that sits in a bucket of cleaning solution. I use aldi napisan. Upend your open corney / kegmenter / keg onto this, and the water jets onto the bottom of the keg and washes down the walls. Haven't had any issues yet.

Cleaning the coupler might be another problem though.

Coodgee said:
How would you clean it?
They are designed to be self cleaning: turn it upside down and the spear acts as a CIP distributor.

The CIP supply is through the beer fitting and the return is through the gas fitting on the coupler. Proper keg cleaners use a special coupler but an ordinary one with the non return valves removed will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back