Asahi beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wessmith said:
Galaxy barley was bred by BB to produce a malt that would attenuate to low levels. The customer was/is Asahi. The lab testing for fermentation attenuation that BB had to introduce was impressive and extensive. Definitely use Galaxy to produce your clone. I would not use more than 12 to 15% rice adjunct though and mash at 67C and look for a finishing gravity around 2.0 to 2.3 P (1008 to 1009) The rice adjunct will need to fully hydrolysed and converted to achieve the FG.

I also note the myth that Galaxy has a high level of diastase is still around - it is no higher than any other Aussie pale malt. What Galaxy does have is a high level of the enzyme beta glucanase (not to be confused with beta glucans) which can be used to reduce the beta glucans in the mash. You will need a beta glucan rest to accomplish this though.

Wes
Very well explained. Galaxy is still very attenuative and producing a dry beer with 100% galaxy is very easy. I use it for 90% of my beers. One favourite of mine and of other non-brewing mates is made with around 85% Galaxy and 15% Jasmine rice brewed as a lager it really goes down well on hot summer days. I would not like to guess how many litres of this I have brewed over the last few years but it must be starting to run into thousands by now

-=Steve=-

I'd also seriously consider hitting the wort with a few minutes of pure O2. Helped me get the final point or two of FG I was looking for

wessmith said:
Galaxy barley was bred by BB to produce a malt that would attenuate to low levels. The customer was/is Asahi. The lab testing for fermentation attenuation that BB had to introduce was impressive and extensive. Definitely use Galaxy to produce your clone. I would not use more than 12 to 15% rice adjunct though and mash at 67C and look for a finishing gravity around 2.0 to 2.3 P (1008 to 1009) The rice adjunct will need to fully hydrolysed and converted to achieve the FG.

I also note the myth that Galaxy has a high level of diastase is still around - it is no higher than any other Aussie pale malt. What Galaxy does have is a high level of the enzyme beta glucanase (not to be confused with beta glucans) which can be used to reduce the beta glucans in the mash. You will need a beta glucan rest to accomplish this though.

Wes
Why would you be mashing at 67C? I would have thought with something like this you would want to be around the 62-63C mark to get the FG that low.

Could rice malt syrup be used ?, be pretty easy. I did a couple of rice lagers, and adding the cooked rice to the mash was a bit of a pain. And ales aren't for beginners, they're for people who like ales.

Aces High said:
Why would you be mashing at 67C? I would have thought with something like this you would want to be around the 62-63C mark to get the FG that low.
With the rice adjunct you will need some body/flavour in the beer. Assuming the rice is well mashed and fully converted, the wort should be very attenuable but yeast type, pitching rate and yeast health will be key issues. You can take the easy way and mash low but the result might not impress.

Wes

wessmith said:
With the rice adjunct you will need some body/flavour in the beer. Assuming the rice is well mashed and fully converted, the wort should be very attenuable but yeast type, pitching rate and yeast health will be key issues. You can take the easy way and mash low but the result might not impress.

Wes
Thanks for the tip Wes, I'll try mashing at 67. Im now thinking 90% galaxy & 10% rice. For yeast I have a wyeast 2278 czech pils yeast in the fridge. I can make a good size starter

Hopefully Nev's holding some galaxy atm as I might try this one on the weekend.

I don't know if this helps but I recently visited the original Asahi (Osaka Beer Co.) brewery in Suita, Osaka and can confirm that their base grain (if not, then the only grain in karakuchi/super dry) is American 2 Row, the adjuncts are rice starch and corn grits - unfortunately they wouldn't tell me the ratios for some reason. Otherwise, as homebrewing in Japan above 1%(?) is illegal and beer is cheap, I gather Asahi are not worried about potential japanese homebrewers discovering their ingredients?

I couldn't quite determine if they use 1 type of hops in two additions or two types of hops. The tour lets you touch/taste/smell all the raw ingredients but unfortunately I don't know enough to determine varieties. I am guessing at least one type was saaz but I couldn't ascertain much if any difference from the second type.

I'm not sure what appreciable difference this makes for home brewers but, also Asahi have been using "pre-isomerizing and evaporation' technology since 2008 which means "hops are boiled separately in a smaller tank to make the unwanted components of the hops evaporate, and then added into the tank of sweet wort. This method cut down the entire boiling time and successfully reduced CO2 emissions during the boiling process by about 30 percent. As a secondary effect, the PIE method improved the quality of beer, resulting in keeping the head on beer longer. It also streamlined the process of boiling hops, and reduced the consumption of hops by about 5 percent." (http://www.japanfs.org/en/mailmagazine/newsletter/pages/029933.html)

...Anyway.. the tour was fun, free and all you can drink super dry and super dry black for 25 minutes.

They were also selling these packets of "dark malt barley tea", which just happen to be produced by Asahi Beer Malt Co. for usual in Asahi Dry Black :) That said, I'm not sure if that means Asahi Malt Co. (who produce a wide range of malts) own at least part of BBM? Resell BBM malts? Or the story about galaxy is wrong?

Pictures when I can find a picture host.

Kanpai!
Al

Latest posts

Back