Article on ABC Landline about hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lager Bloke

Reaction score
Have just seen advertised Landline on ABC have a piece on the show today about Hop Products Australia and the change to varieties grown and craft brewing needing more supply.No affiliation etc,just think it would be of interest to most on here.Rob.

All the other countries protect agricultural industries so how are they going to compete one television show in UK that they stopped growing hops in UK as was cheaper in other EU countries.

Great story on ABC Landline about hop growing and variety breeding

Well worth watching on iView when it is available

By having sought after products, supply and demand.

Over the next 10 years we will likely see double the types available of here and remember, they will likely be proprietary

Pretty good story. They put a lot of time and effort into R&D.

I think I heard right when they said they've stopped growing POR, demand must have bottomed for it.

Yob said:
By having sought after products, supply and demand.

Over the next 10 years we will likely see double the types available of here and remember, they will likely be proprietary
How many new types of hops can they produce before they start to repeat what is already availably with a different name.

Black Devil Dog said:
I think I heard right when they said they've stopped growing POR, demand must have bottomed for it.
That's a shame. IMHO POR is a great hop for single bittering additions for an Aussie ale, dark ales or a nice dry stout. Used it a lot in my early brewing days.

JD

I agree, I use it a bit in Aussie pale ales and lagers. i have my own POR hop plant now and that provides me with a fair bit of what I need.

Coopers is POR

Its a great bittering hop if you dont go to silly

Black Devil Dog said:
Pretty good story. They put a lot of time and effort into R&D.

just about stopped, not fully if my hearing was correct

Mardoo said:
Watching on the toilet :p Gotta love smartphones.
18 minutes. Big Job?

A bit of a "fluff" piece, IMO. Superficial, with a little bit of factuality. The "beer blogger"; he looked like he was not entirely comfortable talking on camera.

Good on 'em all. There is no such thing as bad publicity.

* edit: As for the POR, there will surely be other producers producing it under contract for beer that still requires it for their classic recipes.

First time I've heard mention of Victoria being axed along with their other high AA% like POR. And that it was also potentially axed as it was not a proprietary hop and that's the direction they are going in.

Re POR, does anyone use it for beers that are not specifically Aussie in style?

why would you?

far better bittering hops about to use and while Im told its not bad as fresh flowers, Ive not yet put any of my homegrown POR to the test.. probs will now the randall is active when fresh flowers come about in 2017

Back