Arrgh! Lactobacillus Infection!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmactruck

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Just experiencing my 1st lactobacillus infection after years of brewing. Lucky I expect.

But what to do with the fermentor??? Is it now delegated to sour beers.

The beer infected happens to be an AG hefeweizen fermented with Danstar Munich german yeast. Now 3 weeks in the bottle. It is way too tart to be a yeast character IMO. Certainly did not pick it up the until about week or so old. Thought the beer was quite good before this. I'm going to mix some fruit syrups -- "False Lambic" anyone

Cheers
:blink:

Have you tried more then one bottle, any chance it was just that bottle?

Have you tried more then one bottle, any chance it was just that bottle?

Yep have been drinking it since approx 4 days in bottle, getting more tart as we speak, not sure what to do with fermentor now, any ideas???

Fill it to the brim with Starsan and leave it for a few days. Get a new tap.

You could pasteurise the entire vessel and then switch to a sanitiser. Look at pasteurisation unit (PU) charts. If you fill it to the brim with boiling hot water (even better with some alkaline cleaner) and allow it to cool naturally, you should have a whole lot of pasteurisation.

I have used fermenters and cubes that have had funky stuff in them such as brett and pedio (should be harder to remove than lacto) and have not carry over, I used heat, alkali and acid.

Latest posts

Back