Aroma Of Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I usually add my aroma hops two mins from the end of the boil and then turn on the chiller ,and the results are a bit ordinary !!!
am I doing something wrong as i wish to get a better aroma to my beer.

Pumpy

I find dry hopping works well for aroma. I also use flame out additions depending on the beer.

I agree with Aaron - dry hopping in secondary really helps and flame out additions.
But - add the hops at flame out or 1-2 mins before.
Let kettle settle for 10mins after biol so their is no warming eddy currents working - then whirlpool and let stand for 10-20mins.
Then go thru the chiller.
This might help with the aroma hops getting a better chance to work before cooling.

Hope this helps.

If I don't dry hop then I go the opposite way and add then a minimum of 10 minutes after flameout. There is still enough heat in the wort to dissolve the hops and add what you are looking for.

Duff said:
If I don't dry hop then I go the opposite way and add then a minimum of 10 minutes after flameout. There is still enough heat in the wort to dissolve the hops and add what you are looking for.
[post="104600"][/post]​
I do mine the same way Adnams Extra (my all-time favorite beer) used to be done: hops put into the hopback (ie plastic bucket with a false bottom), hot wort dumped on top of them, left for 30 mins, then run off (beautifully clear) and then chilled.

Though perversely I've yet to use Challenger like that, which was the aroma hop in Extra.

Thanks Guys for some ideas to try out

Pumpy

fwiw i firmly believe that the best aromas available to us would be by using fresh hop flowers which alas due to import rules are not available to us other than using local or correct me if im wrong nz hop flowers through a hopback or similar.hops at flame out work for me with an approx 10 minute settle period.dry hopping works as well but im not personally keen on this method as my results havent been the best.no idea why.

cheers
big d

Have to jump on the hops after flameout bandwagon. The beer I'm drinking at the moment, though it has it's faults (clarity and needs more malt for balance) has a lovely hop aroma (EKG plugs). One plug in a 23 litre brew, 5 minutes after flameout and left for 25 minutes prior to the chillers starting their work. Hmmm hops, better than my attempts at dry hopping.

There is another way i've heard of achieving giant hop flavor and aroma.
Dont add any hops whatsoever until the final 10 min of the boil. You will have to increase your hop amounts greatly. So, instead of using only 1 oz of bittering hops at 60min, you would add 4 oz of bittering hops at 10 min, then your flavor hops at 5min, and your aroma hops at 0 min, flameout, or whirlpool. I have yet to try this, but Jamil Zainasheff swears by it.

Cheers,
KrOtChRoTT
www.krotchrott.com

Back