Aroma Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trooper

Reaction score
Talking to the guy at my regular hbs and we were discussing whether it is worthwile dropping the aroma hops into the final stage of the boil.We both agreed that the last couple of minutes didnt realy give the hops enough time to reach its full potential and we both considered leaving the aroma hops out of the final boil and dry hopping the aroma hops after primary fermentation .Has anyone tried this and did you get a better result? I understand the reasons for aroma hops in the final stages of the boil I'm just thinking of a better way of maximising their use.

I've found good results from boiling the aroma hops for about 3-5 minutes - then putting the nylon bag in the fermenter.

Talking to the guy at my regular hbs and we were discussing whether it is worthwile dropping the aroma hops into the final stage of the boil.We both agreed that the last couple of minutes didnt realy give the hops enough time to reach its full potential and we both considered leaving the aroma hops out of the final boil and dry hopping the aroma hops after primary fermentation .Has anyone tried this and did you get a better result? I understand the reasons for aroma hops in the final stages of the boil I'm just thinking of a better way of maximising their use.

Alot of this is determined by what style your aiimning for.
Dry hopping an Apa or english bitter is fine, but the grassy component doesn't lend itself well to lagers even though aroma plays a fair part in some of them.

Cheers,
BB

If you no chill like i, its always good to drop at whirlpool or into the cube sub 60deg temps for a hopback style punch. Isomersation continues during whirlpool and chilling until you get below the minimum extraction temp. As the exposure time is reduced you should up your hop usage as utilisation would obviously be down in an attempt to achieve higher hop aromas. Dry hopping will give you grassyness but can become vegetle if you exceed a week.

You get different aromas & flavours depending on which method you use, dry hopping will give you more of the "open a pack of hops " aroma where as adding to flameout will give less grassy aromas.

I did find this information on this forum I think , it may help.

[document detailing the aroma/flavour/bitterness levels to boil time]

Lagers
I've seen the graph in that a few times, and it's got me thinking.

For the purposes of this I'm referring to single hop beers only, or at least beers that use a single hop for flavour and aroma and a different hop for bittering. And keep in mind I'm a nooby still. I wanna know if there is a "why" to all this or if it's just something that was done for a reason for a brew eons ago, but for 90% of brews today it's just done cause that's what people have always done.

.. And onto the point!

I notice that many recipies on here (and other places) tend to do something like a 60m, 15min, 5min, 0min style addition schedule. What is the logic behind this? I mean, we consider that according to the graph in the document posted we get best utilisation at:
- 60min bitterness
- 20min flavour
- 7min (ish) aroma

Logically, wouldn't we be better off doing 3 additions at 60/20/7 for maximum bang/gram from our hops? I mean, the logical conclusion from that graph would be that we aren't maximising our flavour or aroma potential from our additions.

Let's say we add at 15 mins - according to the graph we are only getting 70% of the potential flavour. Why not add less hops and boil for 5 minutes longer? This would add to the bitterness slightly, but again, we just drop slightly back on the 60min addition.

And what is the point of the 0min addition? To allow for more grassy/raw flavours? And if so, what advantage over dry hopping?

I'll stick with my recipes then and show my mate at the shop the graph. I would probably go with the theory that a lager would benifet from a dry hop to add a grassy feel to it, as that is what you can sometime aim for in a summer drinking beer.

You get different aromas & flavours depending on which method you use, dry hopping will give you more of the "open a pack of hops " aroma where as adding to flameout will give less grassy aromas.

I did find this information on this forum I think , it may help.

Lagers

lagers,
not sure where you got that chart from, but it's not correct by a long way.

cheers Ross

I am pretty sure that chart started off being distributed by a HBS and seems to have gained quite a following since.

As far as a graphical aid for new brewers, that chart has merit I think. I don't necessarily agree with some of the nitty gritty in it, but I think that is probably a result of some assumptions it is making rather than anything else.

Certainly if you used this graph as a rule of thumb as a new brewer I don't think you would be far off the money. But as always, as you gain experience etc you may have a slightly different graph in your head. Not that much different though...

The graph is wrong. By every brew I have made, chill or no-chill, you do not get 5% aroma from adding hops at flameout. The aromatic oils in hops dissolve into the wort as soon as they hit it, not 7 mins in. Given that the hops are in contact/soaking in the wort for either the chill time and/or whirlpool and settling, there is plenty of time for the aromatics to end up in the wort. Boiling for 5-7 mins only isomerises and/or evaporates some of the the aroma compounds. Just stick your head over the kettle during a boil and sniff. If those aroma compounds are in the steam for you to smell, they're not in the beer any more. 0 minute hot wort additions give the best contribution to aroma, period.

The main problem I have with the graph is that it looks like it's the result of experimental data, whereas it's just illustrative. Show us the data!!! Show me a beer with a flameout addition that has less aroma than the same beer with the same sized late addition boiled for 7 minutes.

Yes, I hate that graph.

As Pomo stated I think you get much better aroma @0min than at any other time. I have tried a few batches with two additions 60 min and 0 min and it works well.

If you want to get a fresh hop aroma than try dry hopping.

Kabooby :)

Latest posts

Back