Aroma hops in tea bag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osprey brewday

Reaction score
Does any one use the tea bags for aroma hops i normally cut them out but this brew i want to reuse the yeast so i hAve just left them in the bags. They seem to be half out of the wort and floating on the top i have brewed this recipe a few times now and like it.wondering if i should add more hops to make up for the lesser contact with hops being restricted in a bag.thanks in advance

Sort of no point in buying hops in a T-Bag only to remove them - in most cases you will be paying a premium for the hops, there is the cost of the bag, weighing and closing in an individual foil. There are plenty of other ways to get hops if you are just going to use them loose it might be worth doing a bit of shopping around.

That said I find T-Bagging aroma hops effective especially if you want to crop the yeast. You have the option of ordering aroma hops custom weighed and T-Bagged, or you can get empty T-bags and fill your own, use a tea infuser... there are lots of options and you can have the of both worlds, the amount you want for a given recipe and the convenience of a T-Bag.

I find that the same amount of hops either in or out of a T-Bag doesn't really make all that much difference to aroma additions, what the bags are designed to do is infuse Tea, people have been using Tea Bags for tea for a hell of a long time. If you put the T-Bag in a sterile glass and cover it with sterile water (boil the kettle and let it cool some) then gently squeeze any air out of the bag with the back of a sterile spoon the bag probably wont float or if so just touching the surface.

If you have a look at the recipe's offered by Brewman, you can specify you hops either T-Bagged or not.

Mark

Thanks for the info.my ingredients are from brewman and the aroma hops have always just come in the bags. I will try the spoon thing next time.It was about 70 gms cascade split into 2 bags 60 lts in fermentor.

Back