Are You A Tekky Brewer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
An old AG brewer said to me when I started , just brew this one recipe 15 times before you change to another recipe ,it will ensure you get consistency in your brews.
Some brewers have very complex set ups ,I call them 'Tekky' brewers ,is it just they like building gear or does it really give consistency .

When brewing is simple best or tekky best?

Pumpy

I dare say 15 times is a bit full on!

You never stop learning new tricks and tips with brewing. as far a consistency goes, unless you build the perfect brewery first go that yields a perfect brew every time, then I'd opt for the simple way of tinkering and finding out first hand what really happens.

Experimenting is tops, and as human nature has it, you never learn a lesson unless you learn it the hard way!

The same beer 15 times?

I understand exactly where the old hand AGer is coming from, but when you start doing AG, the brewing world is your oyster, so many beers and recipes to try out.

Rather than doing 15 beers the same, how about sticking to variations of easy pale ales and bitters, and iron out your system that way. Then launch into higher gravity beers once you have your techniques worked out.

Hi pumpy,
Your pressuming that the equipment produces the wort, i'll look at the otherway the brewer produces the wort. I know a brewer who likes getting new toys all the time and has brought everything you could want. Still this brewer is far from what i would call a 'tekky' brewer. Brewing good beer starts and ends with good knowledge and using your brain not a set of equipment so therfore you can be a 'tekky' brewer but have only the barest of equipment, also you can be basically a useless brewer and no one likes your beer but have the best equipment in the world.
Anyway some food for thought.

Jayse

Pint of lager ,

I think the Ag brewer was trying to get be to ensure I was making the recipe consistent ,I must confess I changed to a brown ale after about ten brews ,I rarely look at recipie which he gave me and do it all automatically which is nice as it means some of the basics are instilled in my three brain cells .

In my experience as it takes some hours to brew the least gear the less washing and putting away of the gear .Pumpy

Latest posts

Back