Are We Wasting Co2?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grott

Beer Embalmer
Reaction score
I've been thinking (possibly dangerous) and thought, if I have a fully carbonated 4 or 5 litre mini keg and are going to consume it in the one session, would a pump for dispensing cause any detrimental effect to the quality of the beer? Initially the head space would have co2 but air from the pump would firstly mix with it but would it immediately oxygenate the brew? How long would it take to do this.
Now there must be a problem? Cause why aren't we all doing it if the contents are going to be consumed in the one session.?

I've been thinking (possibly dangerous) and thought, if I have a fully carbonated 4 or 5 litre mini keg and are going to consume it in the one session, would a pump for dispensing cause any detrimental effect to the quality of the beer? Initially the head space would have co2 but air from the pump would firstly mix with it but would it immediately oxygenate the brew? How long would it take to do this.
Now there must be a problem? Cause why aren't we all doing it if the contents are going to be consumed in the one session.?

Drinking in one session eg one day or night..no not at all.
And Beerkat sell these things, great little item with a little pump attached. Not on their site yet but they have them...I have two!

Perfect for the small 2lt kegs, or a 5lt with friends.

Batz

And Beerkat sell these things, great little item with a little pump attached. Not on their site yet but they have them...I have two!

Batz
AHB - Beerkat Bulk Buy.007.jpeg

Just get a small bike pump, cut the bit off the end of the hose that attaches to your tyre valve and push it onto a gas disconnect.

Edit, wonder if a MFL will screw onto a bike pump? Must be close.

Just get a small bike pump, cut the bit off the end of the hose that attaches to your tyre valve and push it onto a gas disconnect.

And enjoy the oil taste. Yuk!

10 L kegs like that were actually available in the 1970s. In Australia. I had one. It had a sparklets bulb thing on the top but also a wee toggle pump.

Depends on lots of things. Who is cleaning the mini kegs in between sessions. How often are the sessions? co2 is easier with no compromise.
What kind of hand pump are you talking about?

I always rinse my kegs out as soon as they empty then fill with a sodium percarbonate solution, run a bit through the beer post and leave overnight.
With the mini kegs the session is from start to finish, no leaving any for another day.
I was reading about the pumps and considering the one Beerkat is offering.
I have a soda stream setup for dispensing but was just thinking it would be easier to cart and use a pump if it had no effect on the outcome.

I remember Dave 70 doing something similar with a pump when he ran out of gas, the posting would be quite old now.
I have the picnic pump for my kegs if they are going to be emptied on the one day.

Edit, wonder if a MFL will screw onto a bike pump? Must be close.

Schrader thread on bike pump is a Septic standard, 0.302" x 32 TPI. Presta is an old French standard, 6mm x 0.8.

I believe MFL is SAE J513 in which case the 1/4 size is 7/16" (0.4375") x 20 TPI

Last edited:

Batz

Hey Batz,

What did they cost ya?

Cheers,
Jase

Hey Batz,

What did they cost ya?

Cheers,
Jase

I can't remember now Jade, it was a while back when Beerkat got a few in to evaluate. Just happened to be talking to them at this time so grabbed them. Price was very reasonable otherwise I would have not bought them, I didn't really need them at the time, just just looked like fun to have. :drinkingbeer:

You could easily unscrew the pump, clean out any oil and lube with food safe silicone seal lube.

Yes you could I'm sure. But I would rather spend a few bucks to have something more professional looking to take out, as opposed to a bike pump. :thumbsdown:

I can't remember now Jade, it was a while back when Beerkat got a few in to evaluate. Just happened to be talking to them at this time so grabbed them. Price was very reasonable otherwise I would have not bought them, I didn't really need them at the time, just just looked like fun to have. :drinkingbeer:

Cheers Batz

Been to a fish fry and crawfish boil in the us with 50 lt keg with a hand pump. It's standard for hire over there from my understanding. Seems logical if it's all going to go and there are lots of pissed people around.

With hand pumps you can get an aspirator valve. As you draw off a bit of beer the reduced pressure opens the valve which is connected to a CO2 source at very low pressure so that as the beer is drawn out the head space is filled with CO2 not air.

Latest posts

Back