Are These What I Think They Are?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sosman

beerling
Reaction score
I don't know much about gardening but these things aren't growing the same way the leaves did:

HopFlowers041231.jpg

The rhizome (Hallertau) was planted in August 2004.

More pics of the whole plant at http://brewiki.org/HopGrowing

Make sure they get plenty of light and water and post back another picture in 10 days. Then we will really know for sure :lol:
Either way I'm sure you'll have takers for testing purposes :D

Doc

They are indeed what you think they are!

Here's to a big crop :chug:

Jayse

Now all I need is a decent recipe that uses Hallertau - any suggestions? Lager suggested a dark lager.

Sosman, thats funny, thats what i said when i first met my now wife :p

sosman said:
Do hops have male and female flowers?
It is the female that has the flowers we want.

Hop plants are generally dioecious (ie having separate male and female plants), and it is the cone of the mature female plant as it matures, which contains a golden resinous material (Lupulin) which forms at the base of the bracts and bracteoles.

Beers,
Doc

My latin isn't so good, does that mean a plant is either female or male, not a mixture?

sosman said:
does that mean a plant is either female or male, not a mixture?
Hi sosman

The plants are either male or female. The only ones that are used for hops are the female plants. As you can easily propogate hops from the shoots from the female plant, you don't need the male plant. The male plants are usually kept away from the females so that the line of hops (like Saaz) is kept pure.

Cheers
Pedro

Well sos,
since you are showing yours I will show mine.
I think they are the cones. I have never grown hops before. I have to admit though this is at my dads place and he is doing all the work.

hops.JPG

That's them. Although they do look a little different to the POR I have, mine a more like a spikey ball when first emerging (not dissimilar to you ones shown here, the photo is a liitle hard to really make out the detail), so maybe yours are a little more well developed and the spikes are actually starting to flatten.

Nice work anyway.

And just to back up the others here, yep sos those are flowers (actually just saw your sight and you can already tell that ;)), and hop vines are single sex (if my memory serves me correct they are called monoecious, diecious being if both sexes are on the same plant).

Hope your cuttings are going well. They look fine. I've had cuttings survive up to 2 weeks in a glass of water (that's how I propagate them, then plant them in pots when they shoot roots) before they actually start shooting roots of their own. Keep your cuttings well watered and they will come through fine.

Cheerio.

Back