Are these the same?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very very similar, apart from the moisture content.
Apparently the DLME is made from the LME but when you dry fully you do lose more than just the moisture.
The DLME is very convenient for small additions or quick adjustments to wort gravity and has a good malty flavour.
The cans of LME are best used all at once as part of a recipe; it’s less expensive per kg of good stuff and to my mind does taste slightly better.
That said I have and will use both or either for in lots of brews and they are both excellent.
Mark

Very very similar, apart from the moisture content.
Apparently the DLME is made from the LME but when you dry fully you do lose more than just the moisture.
The DLME is very convenient for small additions or quick adjustments to wort gravity and has a good malty flavour.
The cans of LME are best used all at once as part of a recipe; it’s less expensive per kg of good stuff and to my mind does taste slightly better.
That said I have and will use both or either for in lots of brews and they are both excellent.
Mark
Thanks! Would either work on this?
https://www.diybeer.com/au/thomas-coopers-brew-a-ipa.html

Sure, the LME would probably cost a little less but you are likely to have some left over.
They are recommending 3 X 500g DLME or 1.5kg, its about 98% solids (2% water/moisture) so 1.47kg of solids
The 1.5kg cans of LME are about 80% solids so you get ~1.2kg of solids leaving you about 270g short.
You could use 1 of 1.5kg cans and the balance of LDME or even just top up with 270g of white sugar and it wouldn’t make a big difference.
If you used Dextrose instead of white sugar, you need to use more as Dextrose is 91% solids so you would need 270/0.91 or 296.7g of Dex, call it 300g.
Small additions like the above won’t make a big difference, you will get fractionally dryer beer with a slightly higher alcohol content using sugars as they are mostly fully fermentable and Malt Extract isn’t, the part that doesn’t ferment gives you the beer flavour, the more sugars the less maltyness...
Mark

Sure, the LME would probably cost a little less but you are likely to have some left over.
They are recommending 3 X 500g DLME or 1.5kg, its about 98% solids (2% water/moisture) so 1.47kg of solids
The 1.5kg cans of LME are about 80% solids so you get ~1.2kg of solids leaving you about 270g short.
You could use 1 of 1.5kg cans and the balance of LDME or even just top up with 270g of white sugar and it wouldn’t make a big difference.
If you used Dextrose instead of white sugar, you need to use more as Dextrose is 91% solids so you would need 270/0.91 or 296.7g of Dex, call it 300g.
Small additions like the above won’t make a big difference, you will get fractionally dryer beer with a slightly higher alcohol content using sugars as they are mostly fully fermentable and Malt Extract isn’t, the part that doesn’t ferment gives you the beer flavour, the more sugars the less maltyness...
Mark
Thanks so much for that. What would you do if you were me?

What would you do if you were me?

Honestly, if you're new to the game, I'd tell you to make the beer the way they recommend (with 1.5kg dry malt). Once you've made a few brews you can start to mess around with ingredients. At the point I'm at, I'd try and split the can in two and make one half the way they expect and the other half a different way and compare. That's where the beer experience starts to get fun, when you start to learn what steps in the process make different flavours, and you start to have more influence on the finished product

There are a near infinite number of options some are wrong but none are "right" ultimately it will come down to personal taste. I keep telling people "I have perfect taste - my tastes suite me perfectly" but they might not be the same as yours.

T2k is right, learning how to brew well at any level (Kits, Kits and Bits, All Grain....) if you learn the basics early you will be a better brewer. Temperature control, good cleaning and hygiene, quality ingredients, patience all go into making good beer.
As above doing it the way Coopers say will give you a good beer. I would be tempted to make the same brew a couple of times back to back, when you have the basics right try something different and learn how it affects the beer.

The one thing I would change in the Coopers recipe is the yeast, 7g isn’t enough. I would get a better and bigger yeast, there are going to be a lot of opinions on what is best. Personally I would go with S-04 or Nottingham, but that’s for my taste. Many would use US-05 or an equivalent, for me it finishes a bit too sweet and doesn’t fall out well when it’s finished, again personal taste. But the bigger yeast is good brewing practice not opinion.
Mark

There are a near infinite number of options some are wrong but none are "right" ultimately it will come down to personal taste. I keep telling people "I have perfect taste - my tastes suite me perfectly" but they might not be the same as yours.

T2k is right, learning how to brew well at any level (Kits, Kits and Bits, All Grain....) if you learn the basics early you will be a better brewer. Temperature control, good cleaning and hygiene, quality ingredients, patience all go into making good beer.
As above doing it the way Coopers say will give you a good beer. I would be tempted to make the same brew a couple of times back to back, when you have the basics right try something different and learn how it affects the beer.

The one thing I would change in the Coopers recipe is the yeast, 7g isn’t enough. I would get a better and bigger yeast, there are going to be a lot of opinions on what is best. Personally I would go with S-04 or Nottingham, but that’s for my taste. Many would use US-05 or an equivalent, for me it finishes a bit too sweet and doesn’t fall out well when it’s finished, again personal taste. But the bigger yeast is good brewing practice not opinion.
Mark
So buy the yeast elsewhere or do Coopers sell them? Couldn't find them

So buy the yeast elsewhere or do Coopers sell them? Couldn't find them
They do sell some yeast on their site. Unnamed though.
Any home brew shops, physical or online, should stock the S-O4 or Nottingham.

No idea what Coopers sell, I dont shop there being an all grain brewer.
Any decent home brew shop should have a fair range on offer.
There is an old saying in brewing "we make wort, yeast makes beer" might give you some idea how important yeast is.
Mark

just followed the link you posted for the recipe, up the top search for "yeast" they have 4 of 15g on offer, either of the Ale yeasts would be an option.
M

Back