Are these kegs suitable?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smotgon

Reaction score
hi guys newbie question here are these kegs suitable for my Kezzer project?
Are the pin type fittings a easy change out to ball connect or should I buy connections to just fit this type of fitting? Also if the seals are shot is it easy to get replacement seals for this type of keg or would the cheaper option be to just buy new? I'm getting them for $30 each
Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 213
Just noticed the o rings on the top of these pin connects are shot so I might as well run new ball connect...From what I've read ball connect seems to be the preferred method why is that?

No problems with them, at $30 each I would be elbowing you aside.
The type of connection is called a Line Valve or a commercial pin lock, I don't know where you are located but parts are easily available.
Just a couple of points.
There is no way to tell the difference between the gas and the liquid post - a good BIG Gas/Beer in Texta would be a very good idea. Likely to save more than dose of beer in the eyes.
By the look of the O-Ring on the keg posted, they are due for a replacement, do everything in one go.
There are two 1/2" Lifesaver Washers and a diptube collet that will be additional to the line valve parts, do the inside of the line valve while you are in there.
The 3/4 to 1/2 F&M reducer is brass, I would try to replace the one on the beer side with a stainless, might avoid some flavour issues later.

Just have a good look at the kegs before you part with your money, a lot of the kegs with this type of conversion were used as wash-out kegs so they had some pretty aggressive chemicals in them - some eat kegs, if the insides are rough/pitted/rusting - pass, otherwise go for broke.
Lucky bugger
Mark

check on eBay i picked up both posts for about 25 delivered as a set.

Thanks for your tips and info on these kegs guys I thought $30 each was responsible but if I have to spend another $80 on fittings and seal repairs it fast gets close to new prices I have seen....
So if there Firestone I have found a conversation ball lock kit but it didn't mention "Mytton Rod" only "John wood" would these bad boys fit? There 9/16-18 thread thanks again for your input

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 111
Not sure if it is the case now but quite a few years ago I got a few of these and the amount of cash it was going to cost to refurbish them made it not worth the effort. These were way more expensive to get parts for than your standard cheap ball lock 'cornie'. Just see how much it will cost you to get the bits you need. The posts alone were enough for me to not bother.

yes. they were i fitted them to the 45L ream i have.

Do you have a link to them? I’ve looked on ebay and can only find the female corny posts. At that price it would make a very cheap conversion.

Do you have a link to them? I’ve looked on ebay and can only find the female corny posts. At that price it would make a very cheap conversion.
from this user beaver3200
he doesn't have anything listed at the moment

NOT going to fit, your $30 kegs have a 1/2" BSP Female body, so the post has a male thread, I put up a post about servicing them a while ago
Will show you the Australian keg posts.
These are the ones that fit what is on the kegs now
Compliments eBay
Thanks for the link MHB I checked out your post which was a great source of info on these kegs.
They are Mytton Rodd Firestone kegs. New (Taylor) posts are about $30 each for these if you want to change them, so not as cheap as Cornelius keg posts on ebay. Posts and other spares are available here: http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/products/category/KAIUEOMA-kegs-and-accessories/page-2
Thanks SE I done a google search for "Mytton keg" to check out prices and availability for parts.I got a link straight back to this forum in my google search and also found this post.https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/refurbishing-an-ancient-firestone-keg.66859/ which was also a great read & pretty much made my mind up that these repairs can be a real pain in the arse even after sourcing parts:(.
Get cornies, they are cheaper to maintain and parts are more readily available.
I'm starting to think this way too mate! I'm going to pull the pin on this buy and keep shopping around for cornies so if anyone is interested in this sale, ive done all the low balling work for you :fallingoffchair:& would be happy to give you the sellers details He lives in the Newcastle area.

They are probably not ideal if you are after ready to go ball lock kegs to get started but how many are available? If it’s only a couple and you have room to store them why not get them and keep an eye out for second hand ball lock posts? You’ll probably find you need more kegs later on and if not you will sell them on easy enough.

They are probably not ideal if you are after ready to go ball lock kegs to get started but how many are available? If it’s only a couple and you have room to store them why not get them and keep an eye out for second hand ball lock posts? You’ll probably find you need more kegs later on and if not you will sell them on easy enough.
Yeah mate there are only 2 of them,I guess I could grab them and use them for something it is a cheap price lol

I just purchased 2 of these from eBay with free postage. At $120 a piece delivered I think it's a no brainier and I can get started ASAP cheers for all your input on these 2nd hand kegs I would of just ended up blowing more coin trying to do everything on the cheap and ultimately costing me more :bigcheers:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    539.4 KB · Views: 120
Now who here owns a sponsored home brew shop on this forum? I'm off to order taps,hoses & disconnects :cheers:

Latest posts

Back