Are There Less Varieties Of Hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick JD

Blah Blah Blah
Reaction score
The thought occured to me the other day about how hop varieties grown in different countries, or even different regions taste subtlly different (or even quite a lot different) but they are still named the same - or their parent name is retained, like the Goldings family.

But what's to stop the same hop being renamed when grown in another country? Like Willamette and Fuggles...

I wonder if Galaxy could be an American hop grown here exhibiting different fruitiness characters that let it be renamed? Probably not, but if does make ya think of similar hops grown in different countries.

I wonder if Galaxy could be an American hop grown here exhibiting different fruitiness characters that let it be renamed? Probably not, but if does make ya think of similar hops grown in different countries.

it could well be, citra being the likely US variant

I thought this was going to be about the growers moving to the newer high-alpha varieties because that is all the mega-breweries care about.

Why aren't the American hop growers begging the Kiwis to give them a rhizome or two!?

Wonder what Nelson and B/D Saaz would taste like (and be named) if they were grown in Oregon?

Is Southern Cross the result of the South Island's growing conditions and soil on a Simcoe rhizome?

And how awful would PoR taste if grown in Washington? Maybe it's where they got Amarillo from... :D Kidding - but it does make you wonder what Amarillo grown in NZ or Vic would be like. Might be just like Galaxy.

Ha! :lol: Got in a conversation with a bloke at the Charlie bamforth talk and he was saying galaxy was developed back in the 70's. I thought he was full of shit

Says here that Galaxy was bred in Vic...

http://www.hops.com.au/pdfs/Galaxy.pdf

Cool. I wonder what "J78's" heritage is?

It was bred by crossing a female tetraploid (J78) with a male
derived from Perle.

EDIT: Bloody polyploid POR!

The diploid variety ‘J78’ is an open-pollinated (OP) progeny of the diploid variety ‘Pride of Ringwood’, and the variety ‘Ember’ is an OP progeny of tetraploid ‘Pride of Ringwood’. The variety ‘Victoria’ is an OP progeny of tetraploid ‘J78’. From four varieties (‘Saaz ’, ‘J78’, ‘Symphony’ and ‘Ember’; where ‘Saaz ’ refers to an open-pollinated progeny of diploid ‘Saaz’ grown in Tasmania)

But what's to stop the same hop being renamed when grown in another country? Like Willamette and Fuggles...
You mean like Cluster was renamed Vienna Gold by specific Australian growers because it sounded more Euro/exotic? :)

And all the good old NZ varieties such as " insert letter here then a dash then Saaz " are being renamed as Teoraukamakawahakaloha whatever B)

I think a lot of it is to do with national pride as well. For example Styria was a province of the old Austro Hungarian Empire but since Slovenia (modern Styria) became independent, let's get rid of that shameful reference to the grovelling subservience of our downtrodden ancestors and rename Styrian Goldings as glorious Bobek.

I wonder if Chinese Saaz will get rebranded as chinese_characters.JPGanytime soon?

And all the good old NZ varieties such as " insert letter here then a dash then Saaz " are being renamed as Teoraukamakawahakaloha whatever B)

Given the number of threads in which the poster states "the recipe said use b-saaz but the shop only had saaz so I used that", the renaming of these can only be a good thing for home brewers

However if you are having trouble with the pronunciation of kiwi hops is sympathise and offer this advice: simply add 'bro' after the name, it makes the whole thing flow off the tongue. Say it with me: 'Mot-u-ay-ka, bro!', 'Wee-wacka, bro!' (okay that might not be quite the correct way to say Riwaka, but it it's close enough). /ducks flying jandals

I had no difficulty at all when I was in Wellington because I followed the number one rule of speaking overseas. You put on an exaggerated version of their accent (works beautifully with French, just speak high school French as if you are Inspector Clouseau and they never twig that you are taking the piss)

With total honesty - I kept a straight face and asked a guy at the New World supermarket down the road from where I was staying and asked "do you heev any sux pix from twusted hop?" and he took me straight to them. :)

Rdi-waka. That's how you say Riwaka correctly.

Italians can pronounce Maori perfectly as their vowels are the same.

Shit nick, there's a shitload of material there, mixing italian accents with kiwi's haha.

There are so many varieties of Goldings for example, that it becomes difficult to compare a Goldings grown in Australia with one grown in the US if one doesn't know which variety one is growing.

Latest posts

Back