Are Ping Pong Balls Food Safe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingbrownbrewing

Reaction score
I was thinking of using ping pong balls as floats for my dry hopping socks so that it doesn't just sink to the bottom and get stuck in the yeast cake.
Any thoughts??

Better off tethering the bag to the top of the fermenter then weighing it down with some stainless or a sanitised shot glass. Works a treat

A bit of fishing line would work too.

As for the ping pongs... I thought something totally different when I saw the thread title... :lol:

Dental Floss
Its so fine and flat-enable that it can be used without losing the airtight seal on a fermenter or a keg.
And yes its food grade.
Mark

I remember reading years ago of a ping-pong being used in surgery some how.
We used to get jif Lemmon In a lemon shaped plastic bulb that we use to use as fishing floats maybe that might work.

Interesting. I sink mine for max wort exposure

Oh my I have a story here B)

Dan,

THBOMM Screwy uses some kind of food-grade float in his MT. PM him.
Always rack & add my dry hops in a weighted voile bag after 7 days in primary so there's not much yeast at the bottom of the secondary anyway not that it matters much.
The only time I bother racking to secondary is when dry hopping or adding stuff like fruit, coffee, etc.
Not saying my method is the only way to go about this but perhaps worth consideration?

TP

Dental Floss
Its so fine and flat-enable that it can be used without losing the airtight seal on a fermenter or a keg.
And yes its food grade.
Mark

OT - MHB I have tried to use dental floss in the keg but still get CO2 leakage around the keg lid. What brand have you used and what type of o-ring (silicon etc)?

abc

OT - MHB I have tried to use dental floss in the keg but still get CO2 leakage around the keg lid. What brand have you used and what type of o-ring (silicon etc)?

abc

Mint flavoured might be nice :D

:icon_offtopic: Mint in beer?... No thanks, you know I'm right Angus.

Somehow I could see teflon tape through an airlock being useful?

OT - What brand have you used and what type of o-ring (silicon etc)?

abc
Best_Fermenters.JPG
:icon_offtopic:
The ones in the pic are gradually replacing my screwtop (sorry :p ) -type fermenters as they are much easier to clean, seal, & do not have the problems associated with fishing line, dental floss, etc, as mentioned on this thread.
That said, my oldest screwtop/rubber seal fermenter is at least 15 years old & still going strong. It all depends on the quality of the fermenter you buy & how you take care of your gear.

TP

Back