• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

Are grain sacks waterproof

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

tavas

Reaction score
Hi all
Just spent 3 days hunkered down waiting out Cyclone Veronica in WA. I know some rain got blown up under the eaves of the shed and is probably on the floor. How waterproof are the sacks used for grain? Can I expect mouldy grain from here?

gezzanet

Reaction score
Not waterproof. Lost a sack because it soaked up a small pool it was sitting in.

dkril

Reaction score
Hi all
Just spent 3 days hunkered down waiting out Cyclone Veronica in WA. I know some rain got blown up under the eaves of the shed and is probably on the floor. How waterproof are the sacks used for grain? Can I expect mouldy grain from here?
Not a specific answer, but every farm I've ever been to stores bagged grain inside, and almost always above ground level. I know part of that is for handling convenience (rather than lifting it onto utes trays/truck beds), but I certainly wouldn't trust the bags' waterproofness.

tavas

Reaction score
Yeah that’s what I figured. Thanks guys

fdsaasdf

Reaction score
Interesting, I had assumed that most grain sacks were in fact water resistant, although I'd never risk it - keep all of my grain stored in plastic tubs. The reason I'm surprised is that years ago before I started composting leftover spent grain, I'd dump it in a grain sack to go in the bin. No liquid ever seemed to seep out of the grain sack...

idzy

Reaction score
Interesting, I had assumed that most grain sacks were in fact water resistant, although I'd never risk it - keep all of my grain stored in plastic tubs. The reason I'm surprised is that years ago before I started composting leftover spent grain, I'd dump it in a grain sack to go in the bin. No liquid ever seemed to seep out of the grain sack...
Resistant to humidity, certainly wouldn't store on a puddle. They are plastic lined so they can hold some wet grain, but if it is too wet, they will leak.

Latest posts