Are blichmann overrated or worth the extra $?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah the plan is to have it up and brewing by the end of the year mate

Doubleplugga said:
Will do when I get home cocko. Until then I started a thread called, The electric brewery build begins. Have a squiz on there as it has the boiler makers posted but none of the other blichmann gear yet. I will be home in around a months time so will continue my build and thread then.
Nice build thread double. That rig is the proverbial ducks nuts, brave to attempt it but handy that others have and have succeeded.

Cocko said:
If going gas, IMO only, I would think that the Robinox range with the thicker/sandwich base would be a better option, again my opinion only.
I've got a Robinox for my kettle (gas) and when (not if) I replace it I will be going for something with a much thinner base. Retains heat for far too long. Whirlpooling is a real PITA. 20 min before convection dies down.

YMMV.

So I filled in the quote order for 3 75L / 20 gallon pots via price usa. They have a handy estimator for their quoting system for others interested in doing the same, so the damage would be

$2007 (US $) +
$207 gst or probably a bit more depending on US conversion +
Customs $50+ according to other threads on customs fees.

Versus $2100 plus postage from ibrew. Given brew is at Australian, there is little difference between the two. Given ibrew is a heck of alot closer if the order is messed up, if I go this route I will be going ibrew.

Cheers

J

I recently imported one as ibrew didn't have the size I wanted in stock, plus would be a long wait. Worked out couple hundred cheaper, good exchange rate at the time. Use it as a mash tun and the false bottom is great. Use one of ross' pots for boil kettle and an urn as hlt. As a mash tun they seem pretty awesome, don't know if there is any advantage to having ones for bk or hlt except for the bling factor.

I'll hold out for a couple of weeks, the exchange rate may be in for a shake up. Of course maybe not. ;)

get the pots sent one at a time and you will avoid the taxes. Or, if the US supplier will do so, have them mark it as a gift, this will also help to avoid tax on anything over 1K, so I have been told!

blitchman beer gun poor design, if you know anything about counter pressure filling, the bottle must be air tight or the oxygen will make the beer foam/it wont save the carbonation. so instead of the blitchman beer gun use a counter pressure filler

Batz said:
I'll hold out for a couple of weeks, the exchange rate may be in for a shake up. Of course maybe not. ;)
lol

If the US $ goes right down the numbers might align, but I wouldn't bank on it (or public healthcare in America for that matter!).

Doubleplugga said:
get the pots sent one at a time and you will avoid the taxes. Or, if the US supplier will do so, have them mark it as a gift, this will also help to avoid tax on anything over 1K, so I have been told!
Problem with that is you will pay for each item to be shipped to an address in oregan or similar before onforwarding for shipment to Australia, plus, well, potential fraud charges I would rather not deal with!

lol

If the US $ goes right down the numbers might align, but I wouldn't bank on it (or public healthcare in America for that matter!).

us.jpg

Problem with that is you will pay for each item to be shipped to an address in oregan or similar before onforwarding for shipment to Australia, plus, well, potential fraud charges I would rather not deal with!

The freight on mine was free within the states. Most brew shops direct ship them from Blichmann, and the prices seem identical across most shops so the intra states shipping price is probably part of the deal with blichmann.
The declared value on my pot was @ $170, The shipping co did that on their own accord. Wasn't needed as price was already under the thou.

Re US forwarding services, there are many of them, and they have varied plans. I used one when I moved to Australia. See if you have to subscribe, and for how long.

Among general US suppliers, check out Northern Brewer, in Minneapolis. For heavy items you might also check out UK suppliers; I've never ordered brew supplies from there, but on small items I have found the Royal Mail rates are often low in comparison with those from the US or even across Australia. Don't know about something as big as a Blichmann.

After doing the research, I went local. I ordered my 100L boiler with thermometer and 3 piece ball valve this week, with an added sight glass. Pretty good deal for the size. I picked up a basic hoist for under $100, so I can biab double batches until I can buy the HLT and mash tun. I may go blichmann for the mash tun, but otherwise I think the $ are better off going towards fittings, HERMS parts etc. I picked up an italian burner with a medium adjustable regulator from beerbelly too.

These guys have some great brew sculptures, although it will be single level and pumps for me.

http://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/index.php/everything-mashing/brewing-kettles/product/114-100ltr-stainless-steel-brew-kettle-sandwich-base-pot

MashPaddler said:
After doing the research, I went local. I ordered my 100L boiler with thermometer and 3 piece ball valve this week, with an added sight glass. Pretty good deal for the size. I picked up a basic hoist for under $100, so I can biab double batches until I can buy the HLT and mash tun. I may go blichmann for the mash tun, but otherwise I think the $ are better off going towards fittings, HERMS parts etc. I picked up an italian burner with a medium adjustable regulator from beerbelly too.

These guys have some great brew sculptures, although it will be single level and pumps for me.

http://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/index.php/everything-mashing/brewing-kettles/product/114-100ltr-stainless-steel-brew-kettle-sandwich-base-pot
Nice stuff.

Spiesy said:
Nice stuff.
Spiesy, I know you were after some feedback on the pot. Got to say, overall, really happy. There is a bit of a mark on the base, but otherwise it is a really solidly built pot and some great fittings, couldn't be happier. Big bugger.... ;) Hooked up an electronic hoist so now all that remains is to test the weight limits of Ross's biab bags!

IMG_0341.jpg

Latest posts

Back