Are blichmann overrated or worth the extra $?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MashPaddler

Reaction score
Looking at purchasing a couple of 75L pots to make the move from AG, and saw the blichmann pots with fittings for $695 each. They look the goods, but are they better than a $200 litre pot plus fittings? I plan on running them over gas burners.

Dude I wouldnt trade mine for anything.

You pay for quality.

I run electric HLT/ HERMS and gass kettle and they are awesome.

Do they make better beer?
Does the regular competition winners brew with blichmann gear?

I don't think so.

You know the saying, it's not the equipment but what you do with it.

Thanks, helpful to hear from someone who has used them. I might have to do a call around the club and see if anyone has them to have a look at them, none available for purchase locally.

Most will tell you they are way over priced, and landed here in Australia perhaps they are. If you can find the bucks I would say go for it. All I own is their Hop Rocket...but it's a Rocket.

Batz

We do seem to pay a premium on them compared to the states to the tune of a couple of hundred per pot, but I haven't been able to find a shop in the states from searching that will post to Australia, let alone what the postage would be to see if worth it. Midwest brewing supplies has some deals that would make you weep trying to put the same together here. Has anyone else had any luck importing them?

MashPaddler said:
We do seem to pay a premium on them compared to the states to the tune of a couple of hundred per pot, but I haven't been able to find a shop in the states from searching that will post to Australia, let alone what the postage would be to see if worth it. Midwest brewing supplies has some deals that would make you weep trying to put the same together here. Has anyone else had any luck importing them?
www.ibrew.com.au

They sell the stuff, no affiliation blah blah.

I think the only way to import is through an on forwarding company such as http://www.priceusa.com.au/index.html
An AHB member recently posted that they did and saved quite a bit of moola.
For the OP I use two and they are a quality build, they will last a long time. As far as the competition goes, there are a few quality pots around for less dollars and I'm sure they will last a long time also. You need to compare apples to apples so include price of fittings and fitment of same.
One thing that Blichmann has down pat is the louvre false bottoms, they are first class for recirc systems, HERM, RIM and modified BIAB.

Raz the priceusa service looks interesting, I'll follow up with them and get a quote for the two 20 gallon pots with the works from midwest brewing would be to get to Australia and will post back.

I've got 3 bits of their gear, Hoprocket, plate chiller and false bottom. All top quality, and as razz pointed out, the false bottoms are top notch for recirc systems. Took a bit of surgery and silicon hose to get the false bottom seated properly in the 18 gallon keg that is my mash tun, but glad I went to the effort.

Truman said:
Do they make better beer?
Does the regular competition winners brew with blichmann gear?

I don't think so.

You know the saying, it's not the equipment but what you do with it.
Sorry missed your post. Completely agree, eskies have been winning comps for years, not sure my OP was buying into that argument. Doesn't hurt to do the research and get the feedback from those who have them to make an informed decision though.

MashPaddler said:
Sorry missed your post. Completely agree, eskies have been winning comps for years, not sure my OP was buying into that argument. Doesn't hurt to do the research and get the feedback from those who have them to make an informed decision though.
Yeh mate fully agree. If you can afford them why not. I'm all for bling in the brewery. Sadly I could never afford them in mine.

If I could spend my money again, I would go them... IF I was to go electric again - which I would.

If going gas, IMO only, I would think that the Robinox range with the thicker/sandwich base would be a better option, again my opinion only.

In short - you get what you pay for. That said, if you can only afford Ross' pots then you will still be happy, as per Truman - tradesmen blaming tools etc...

Fark it - you have me redesigning an all Blichmann rig in my head as I type.... *waves fist* - DAMN YOU!

Go with what you can afford and then push it a little more - BUY ONCE, BUY RIGHT.

I have a few blichmann things. Hop rocket. Cp filler. Chiller. Mash tun on the way. I like the stuff they make and don't mind paying for it. And I can get parts easily too. So works for me.

Quality. I have three 20 gallon boiler makers, a therminator and a hop rocket. The build quality is top notch as has been said. If you can afford them go for it, you won't regret it.
Oh and a 14.5 gallon conical fermentor with tri clamp fittings which I haven't seen yet. It has arrived at home but I am working away at the moment. The wife said it is big, shiny and heavy. What more do you want!

Will do when I get home cocko. Until then I started a thread called, The electric brewery build begins. Have a squiz on there as it has the boiler makers posted but none of the other blichmann gear yet. I will be home in around a months time so will continue my build and thread then.

Latest posts

Back