Arduino Development Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I realise it's not a straight forward question but that's great. Knowing that I could budget <$100 approx is good to know.

Cheers

Can do it pretty cheap...

Arduino Uno or Demi ($30)
SSR ($5)
LCD ($5)
Stainless steel dS18B20 weldless probe ($12)

Install the probe... wire up the LCD... basic coding....voila, step mashes...

We'll try not to hold it against you...

Computer Science / Software Development here :p

If it helps I have a Bachelor of Computing Science and do some development work as well.

I really don't like the average dev or SA.

It's a bit pathetic to see a (senior!) SA say they're going to have to modify 500 accounts manually when a few lines of powershell will do it in a few seconds (or even just dsquery/dsget/dsmod/dsadd and a batch file).

On the other hand, devs don't seem to understand anything at all about computers work, esp in a corporate environment. I mean seriously how can you be unable to install an application and make it work when you wrote the bloody app?

I suppose that which way the argument goes depends on the quality of the staff in the respective departments. I'm public sector, so mostly dregs in both unfortunatly :angry:

It's a bit pathetic to see a (senior!) SA say they're going to have to modify 500 accounts manually when a few lines of powershell will do it in a few seconds (or even just dsquery/dsget/dsmod/dsadd and a batch file).

On the other hand, devs don't seem to understand anything at all about computers work, esp in a corporate environment. I mean seriously how can you be unable to install an application and make it work when you wrote the bloody app?

Lol with ya there..

If it helps I have a Bachelor of Computing Science and do some development work as well.

That really gets me too...

Myself I'm a Senior Developer at a University, but I've worked as a SysAdmin (Linux and Solaris, Sun Solaris certified), I switched to development when I worked out I hate being woken at 3am to fix a server :) I also have some Network skills - Cisco specifically, half way through a CCNA just for fun. I'm entirely self taught, yet I am more capable than the large majority of people i've worked with who have way more certifications than I do... Anyway I guess my point is good IT people are hard to find :)

Yet another senior sys admin/ infrastructure dev here.

To get this thread back on topic, how do you set temps
Hard code them, or can you setup some kind of input device?

Hard code them, or can you setup some kind of input device?

I have built a few temp controllers.

The latest basically has no UI - I embedded a cheap bluetooth module. Set the target temperature via phone or PC.

The one before that, I used one of these:

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9117

which worked out well.

Then of course there is always the simple up/down push button.

Rotary dial, 2 toggle switches for up/down or a mini keypad of some sort... Plenty of options

Hey guys,

Still in the process of designing my brewery.
Probably be ages till I get it altogether.
However I was looking at 4 ring burners.
Reason being I was thinking of maybe putting 4 little solenoid valves in behind the individual taps on the rings..
That would then allow me to programmatically adjust my flame to give me just the right amount of heat.
Anyone know if anyones done this before?
Or if it's even possible??
Obviously back behind this I would have a proper solenoid for safety sakes..

Only thoughts at the moment.
But probably one of my next purchases is a burner and also to build a stand so thinking ahead I spose.
I have been tempted with an actuator and a simple burner but the draw back there is some of these burners don't work well on low flame.
Also those little actuators are damned expensive..

Thanks

Warwick

Hey all,

Quick question is:
1. Can i use Arduino to record 3 temp sensors and turn on a pump?

If so, where do i start?
(Work in IT and coding, so the main issue i will have is getting my head around the electronics)

Hey all,

Quick question is:
1. Can i use Arduino to record 3 temp sensors and turn on a pump?
Yes.
If so, where do i start?
(Work in IT and coding, so the main issue i will have is getting my head around the electronics)
Start by checking out the datasheet for the DS18B20+ or the LM34 temperature sensors. The DS18B20 is really easy: Ground to ground, Vcc to your 5V arduino supply, data to a digital pin, with a 4.7KOhm pull-up resistor between the data pin and Vcc.

for the output side, you can simply use a SSR (solid state relay), or mechanical relay. There should be plenty of guides online for you to read up on that. There are other ways too: mosfets, triacs, optocouplers with power transistors... it all depends on what you're switching, whether it's AC or DC, high or low current, high or low voltage, etc.

Looks a lot like the Freetronics LCD from Jaycar, not identical but quite similar. If it works pretty close to the same, then it should work fine. I have one of the Freetronics LCD's and it's very good.

So am i on the right track?
Do i need any additional breadboards / cables etc?

Any help is appreciated - i don't want to have to reorder a bunch of items i missed.

items.jpg

trying to find some potentiometer to control 12v -> 5v (computer fans)... hmm... possible?

So am i on the right track?
Do i need any additional breadboards / cables etc?

Any help is appreciated - i don't want to have to reorder a bunch of items i missed.

items.jpg

trying to find some potentiometer to control 12v -> 5v (computer fans)... hmm... possible?
Do you need the flex sensor in that starter kit? You can do it cheaper if you go with a plain arduino/compatible board and a breadboard kit.

are you wanting to vary the speed of the fan? You can do it with a pot as part of a voltage divider. there are a number of ways to do it. I have played with using pulse width modulation on an arduino to control a 12V fan, which allows more fine grained speed control, and the ability to slow it down to slower than mere voltage lowering.

I am just about to have a custom arduino compatible board fabricated which works out quite a bit cheaper than the official boards... Particularly if you intend on using a few of them for different projects. I could probably do the arduino board and components as a kit for $15 plus postage.... but the lead time is about 4 weeks.

Flex sensor?
I was just after a generic pack that had all the odds and ends i would normally forget to grab - definitely interested in the kit bonj - any more details?

Flex sensor?
That kit you chose has a flex sensor in it. I presumed you didn't want that.
I was just after a generic pack that had all the odds and ends i would normally forget to grab - definitely interested in the kit bonj - any more details?
Well, the kit would include all the components necessary to build a complete working arduino clone, but the programming cable/breakout would be extra:
http://littlebirdelectronics.com/products/ftdi-cable-5v
or
http://littlebirdelectronics.com/products/...sic-breakout-5v

The beauty of that arrangement, is that you only need to pay for the cable/breakout once, whereas on the official boards, you are paying for it with every board. As I said, if you intend to use multiple boards, that's where you realise a saving.

I have the board designed and ready to fabricate, but I haven't ordered it yet. (Which also means it is not tested). I have been intending on ordering it this week. My design has a few benefits over the official board:

• # unassigned 2x3pin headers, with solder holes so you can wire them to whatever you like.
    # 5V and Ground rails, so you can wire them to anything, including the unassigned headers (eg 5V,GND,Digital Pin for direct connection to a servo, or use the ISP example code and wire it up as an ISP programmer to program the arduino bootloader onto more microcontrollers).
    # programming pins for connection to a FTDI cable or breakout board (lowers the cost of each board, for embedded projects because you're not paying for the FTDI chip more than once).
    # Standard ISP header for direct programming (bypasses the arduino bootloader).
    # configurable power options.
    • * will accept a standard TO92 7805 regulator, or a more powerful TO220 package.
      * ground plane provides heatsink to the TO220 package
      * optional jumper to input direct 5V from another power supply or battery pack.
      * power input wires have been given strain relief holes to relieve strain on the solder joints.
    # Standard arduino form factor for shield compatibility.
    # All arduino pins have been broken out to extra solder holes.
    # Fully arduino IDE compatible if used with a bootloader flashed ATMEGA328/168

What size ssr do I need to control a 15amp element, is 25 amp ok or do I need a 40 amp?

Latest posts

Back