Archive's Response To Brews News Article

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This was archive's reply to Brews news article which gave us a fairly poor review as copied below. Not sure if our reply it will actually get published on Brews News so we thought we'd post it here as well.

"First up we have what is, now, the veteran of the Brisbane scene located in the West End, Archive Bar. After a number of visits over a couple of years, Archive seems to be making a move towards a safer beer list. The bar and bottle shop next-door that is an extension of the existing bar was not open at the time of my most recent visit so there may be something more interesting in there. Archive is still a great space with some really good beers. The list just seems to be coming back towards the mainstream from what it was in the past. While this may be a good thing for getting more punters in, it is disappointing for the beer lover looking for something a bit different. It’s a good place to go and drink for some good quality beers but not the place you would go to discover new and interesting things. A great place to spend the night with some good pale ales and some mates." Aaron Brews News...

http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2012/01/brisba...1/#comment-5451

Archive's reply is as follows

Dear sir/editor,

Archive here. Needless to say, after reading this article we felt the need to defend ourselves to against a rather lacklustre review of our humble establishment, if only in the attempt to correct a few minor points that the author/blogger/beer-drinker seemed to have missed upon his visit to our venue.

But before we get into all that, to those that came to our defence (namely Snow, James Costello, Ben Connery), we humbly thank you for your steadfast support of what we have built over the past 18 months. Next time you’re in, the first beer is on us.

Now back to the matter at hand. While we accept and understand that the author may have had limited time to inspect our venue and sample a few beverages from our ‘safe beer list’ (which currently stands at mere 350+ domestic and International craft beers), we would like to humbly remind you that fact is far more enjoyable than fiction, so please allow us a moment to retort to your sorely inaccurate depiction of our venue, but more importantly, your deprecating description of the beers that we stock.

Firstly, in response to your point that we’ve somehow moved towards a “safer beer list”. Well, we must admit, even we had a good chuckle at that one. Have you considered stand-up at all? Laughter aside for a moment however, we are actually honestly intrigued to hear what you consider exciting if 350+ craft beers is a point of safety in your mind.

The sore fact of the matter is that WE actively source all our beers, usually from breweries themselves as we are not content enough to sit on our hands waiting for sales reps to approach us with new and exciting offerings. Although to be fair a simple inspection of our website would clarify this fact for you. Although seeing as ours was the only website not hyperlinked in your article, we understand how you might have missed it, but allow us to rectify that for you with links to our Domestic(http://www.archivebeerboutique.com.au/wp-content/uploads/MainBeerList.pdf), International (http://www.archivebeerboutique.com.au/wp-content/uploads/NextDoorImport.pdf) and Reserve (http://www.archivebeerboutique.com.au/wp-content/uploads/ReserveSelection.pdf) beer menus; safe as they are.

You also seemed to be under the impression that Archive is “not the place you would go to discover new and interesting things.” If by ‘things’ you were in fact referring to beer, then I’m sorry to say you are sorely mistaken. In fact, we are one of the only venues in Brisbane whose beer list continues to grow each and every week as we actively source new beers for our patron’s enjoyment.

You obviously must have also missed our multiple craft beer festivals, tap blackouts, Armakeggon, Beer Academies and upcoming Fe-brew-ary events where we have had craft beers never before seen in Queensland. In the last week alone we have added over 20 new beers to our fridges and have another 15 or so coming on next month for yet another ALL-NEW beer-themed event. A simple check of our newsletter here (http://www.archivebeerboutique.com.au/wp-content/Newsletter/htmlnewsletter.html) would have told you as much, but never mind all that now.

One last thing, the back bar and bottleshop are always open should you want anything, you simply have to ask any of the bartenders at the main bar to help you out. Well that’s all from us. A big here cheers to hoping your next article is a little bit better researched and fact driven.

That'll learn them!

Nice work on the rebuttal. Off to have a giggle at the article as I've yet to read it, but good work for sticking it to someone who obviously don't have a clue...

Cheers

Nice reply Joe, Have you got a link to the article?

Cheers

"tastes like beer" would be a good quote for you to use in your journalistic endeavours Brad....

:ph34r:

Perhaps he's just talking about the taps... :ph34r:

"tastes like beer" would be a good quote for you to use in your journalistic endeavours Brad....

:ph34r:

"tastes like beer" or "whats this shit" or "really, you thinks this is good, really????" kind of covers all my journalistic feedback.

Funny you should mention that,

To me I can get subbies to drink at home, when I go out I always look for what is on tap.

*** This comment does not in any way reflect what is currently on tap at the archive bar, I've only been there once, but would visit more often it there was not hundreds on kms between us

Youre probably on the money Bum. Walks in looks at taps, bounces of a wall or 2 , gives review.
He may have visited when Dan was 'sans trousers'.
(Hopefully the review will discourage some hipsters :icon_cheers: )

He may have visited when Dan was 'sans trousers'.
(Hopefully the review will discourage some hipsters :icon_cheers: )

Well if he did indeed see dan sans trousers then i could understand the review, nobody deserves that haha.

Speaking of Dan - it'll be interesting to see if he gets into this retailer for his sarcastic response to an unfavourable review...

I was thinking the same.

The front bar can sometimes have an average range IMO. I love the place though. I love rocking up, going through the beer menu and working out the order of the day/night. What will match the food if I eat there etc.

Jeez, you wanna hava fat wallet on your way into that place. I just looked at the price list... :huh:

Speaking of Dan - it'll be interesting to see if he gets into this retailer for his sarcastic response to an unfavourable review...

Not Dan's response, Dan is outta the Archive building... he's now making the world a better place, one cider at a time

This was archive's reply to Brews news article which gave us a fairly poor review as copied below. Not sure if our reply it will actually get published on Brews News so we thought we'd post it here as well.

"First up we have what is, now, the veteran of the Brisbane scene located in the West End, Archive Bar. After a number of visits over a couple of years, Archive seems to be making a move towards a safer beer list. The bar and bottle shop next-door that is an extension of the existing bar was not open at the time of my most recent visit so there may be something more interesting in there. Archive is still a great space with some really good beers. The list just seems to be coming back towards the mainstream from what it was in the past. While this may be a good thing for getting more punters in, it is disappointing for the beer lover looking for something a bit different. Its a good place to go and drink for some good quality beers but not the place you would go to discover new and interesting things. A great place to spend the night with some good pale ales and some mates." Aaron Brews News...

http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2012/01/brisba...1/#comment-5451

Archive's reply is as follows

Dear sir/editor,

Archive here. Needless to say, after reading this article we felt the need to defend ourselves to against a rather lacklustre review of our humble establishment, if only in the attempt to correct a few minor points that the author/blogger/beer-drinker seemed to have missed upon his visit to our venue.

But before we get into all that, to those that came to our defence (namely Snow, James Costello, Ben Connery), we humbly thank you for your steadfast support of what we have built over the past 18 months. Next time youre in, the first beer is on us.

Now back to the matter at hand. While we accept and understand that the author may have had limited time to inspect our venue and sample a few beverages from our safe beer list (which currently stands at mere 350+ domestic and International craft beers), we would like to humbly remind you that fact is far more enjoyable than fiction, so please allow us a moment to retort to your sorely inaccurate depiction of our venue, but more importantly, your deprecating description of the beers that we stock.

Firstly, in response to your point that weve somehow moved towards a safer beer list. Well, we must admit, even we had a good chuckle at that one. Have you considered stand-up at all? Laughter aside for a moment however, we are actually honestly intrigued to hear what you consider exciting if 350+ craft beers is a point of safety in your mind.

The sore fact of the matter is that WE actively source all our beers, usually from breweries themselves as we are not content enough to sit on our hands waiting for sales reps to approach us with new and exciting offerings. Although to be fair a simple inspection of our website would clarify this fact for you. Although seeing as ours was the only website not hyperlinked in your article, we understand how you might have missed it, but allow us to rectify that for you with links to our Domestic(http://www.archivebeerboutique.com.au/wp-content/uploads/MainBeerList.pdf), International (http://www.archivebeerboutique.com.au/wp-content/uploads/NextDoorImport.pdf) and Reserve (http://www.archivebeerboutique.com.au/wp-content/uploads/ReserveSelection.pdf) beer menus; safe as they are.

You also seemed to be under the impression that Archive is not the place you would go to discover new and interesting things. If by things you were in fact referring to beer, then Im sorry to say you are sorely mistaken. In fact, we are one of the only venues in Brisbane whose beer list continues to grow each and every week as we actively source new beers for our patrons enjoyment.

You obviously must have also missed our multiple craft beer festivals, tap blackouts, Armakeggon, Beer Academies and upcoming Fe-brew-ary events where we have had craft beers never before seen in Queensland. In the last week alone we have added over 20 new beers to our fridges and have another 15 or so coming on next month for yet another ALL-NEW beer-themed event. A simple check of our newsletter here (http://www.archivebeerboutique.com.au/wp-content/Newsletter/htmlnewsletter.html) would have told you as much, but never mind all that now.

One last thing, the back bar and bottleshop are always open should you want anything, you simply have to ask any of the bartenders at the main bar to help you out. Well thats all from us. A big here cheers to hoping your next article is a little bit better researched and fact driven.

No, your reply will be not be published.

First rule of writing a 'letter-to-the editor' (and I've written hundreds) is it can't be longer than the original article. Yours goes on and on for paragraph after paragraph before finally getting to a few substantive points. If you want the publication to devote a large space in their publication then you going to have to pay for it (its called advertising). You say the "first beers on us" - they would say "the first hundred words are on us". After that you can both pay.

Your reply needed to be pithy, focused, disciplined and written by a gun writer. Perhaps spend some money on a PR agency or freelance journo.

No, your reply will be not be published.

First rule of writing a 'letter-to-the editor' (and I've written hundreds) is it can't be longer than the original article. Yours goes on and on for paragraph after paragraph before finally getting to a few substantive points. If you want the publication to devote a large space in their publication then you going to have to pay for it (its called advertising). You say the "first beers on us" - they would say "the first hundred words are on us". After that you can both pay.

Your reply needed to be pithy, focused, disciplined and written by a gun writer. Perhaps spend some money on a PR agency or freelance journo.

Did you even check the link? It's there in all it's glory.

Thanks for your 'constructive' feedback though!

Sheesh!

Latest posts

Back