Archive Ipa Competition Results

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would love to... But quiet day at home today.

4 great beers.... Do yourself a flavour and get yourself a palate cleanser for between each beer. Does mean you'll have 5 beers on the go though :chug:

@ LRG... every now and then I was getting that slight smoke/roast thing going on in mine. Not intended but does add a little intrigue.

Would love to... But quiet day at home today.

4 great beers.... Do yourself a flavour and get yourself a palate cleanser for between each beer. Does mean you'll have 5 beers on the go though :chug:

@ LRG... every now and then I was getting that slight smoke/roast thing going on in mine. Not intended but does add a little intrigue.

I'm surprised there is any of yours left after you shamed everyone in the pub into buying schooners of it :lol: .

I'm surprised there is any of yours left after you shamed everyone in the pub into buying schooners of it :lol: .

haha.. yeah things were getting a bit loose there towards the end... many beers in a short amount of time will do that to me.

Will have to do again soon

I liked that roast bitterness. Not what I was expecting - it's almost a cross between a Black IPA and a regular IPA. I actually got more bitterness (apparent) on the tongue from the roast, yet the flavour of the roast wasn't incredibly strong.

SWMBO had a sip, and didn't find it too bitter - she actually liked it. I think I'm slowly getting her used to bitterness, though she doesn't like "hoppiness flavour", despite most of my APA being at 30 (started at 25) and climbing, from a 30 minute small addition and a large 10 minute addition.

I'm conditioning her toward tolerance for IPA levels of bitterness.

Goomba

I liked that roast bitterness. Not what I was expecting - it's almost a cross between a Black IPA and a regular IPA. I actually got more bitterness (apparent) on the tongue from the roast, yet the flavour of the roast wasn't incredibly strong.

SWMBO had a sip, and didn't find it too bitter - she actually liked it. I think I'm slowly getting her used to bitterness, though she doesn't like "hoppiness flavour", despite most of my APA being at 30 (started at 25) and climbing, from a 30 minute small addition and a large 10 minute addition.

I'm conditioning her toward tolerance for IPA levels of bitterness.

Goomba
Talking with Winkle... we've come to the conclusion that it could be the Special B lending a bit of roastiness. It's a pretty dark crystal so could impart those flavours in the right conditions. My home version does not have that as pronounced, but i think it can still only just be found.

Talking with Winkle... we've come to the conclusion that it could be the Special B lending a bit of roastiness. It's a pretty dark crystal so could impart those flavours in the right conditions. My home version does not have that as pronounced, but i think it can still only just be found.

I might have to use it, though the weather (well except for the last 3 days) is going to get hot from here on in - might be useful for a winter style IPA, with 50g of smoked malt (love smoked malt in a dark ale).

Something along the lines of 5kg base malt (currently Perle), .3 Rye, .1 special B, .05 Smoked.

It gave me some ideas, at any rate.

Oh, and great colour - it made the lager I got for the mrs look pale and insipid (though it wasn't quite that bad). Love that reddish hue.

Goomba

Popped in yesterday and sampled a couple more.

Ryeald Chiald - loved this beer. That spiciness, allied to the bitterness is fantastic. Bitterness is smooth and warming with the rye. I've only used Rye once in a Pale Ale (and then only 3% of the grist), but this is a seriously good beer. Though I wouldn't call it an IPA - I detected not a great deal of hoppiness, especially in the aroma. More like a Rye Bitter - it's own beer variety (bit like my Weissbier with 20% rye isn't a wheat beer, but a great beer nonetheless). Great effort!

FlyPA - great IPA - this is what my perception of an IPA should be. Very similar to my current Pale Ale, but I detect something else there. This the classic version of an IPA, especially of the American variety with American hops. If I was voting on an IPA, this would get it.

But if I was voting on my favourite beer, I reckon the Ryeald Chiald would have it for me.

What this has proved is that, whoever won, it was possibly as much good fortune as anything else. All beers are different, fantastic beers, but I couldn't split them if I was voting on a generic level. It's only that I consider FlyPA to stick to the mandate better, that would get my vote.

As for the others - let's just say that they've influenced what I reckon I'll brew next! Roastiness in a amber coloured IPA? Rye Based Ale? I thought I was pushing the boundries with Rye in a Weiss, but these have shown me that a fairly staid category such as APA can be reinterpreted so many ways!

Goomba

Finally made it to Archive for the first time. Only way I could have timed it better was not rocking up when they were out of blackbeards. Despite that I got to try 3 awesome beers and I have to say Ryeald Chiald had my vote. I'm thinking I'll look for a recipe with Rye in it now.

Great work to all involved - I had a Holgate roadtrip IPA before starting on the BABBS beers and I think the BABBS beers gave the Holgate a damn good run for it's money.

Cheers,

Ed

they were out of blackbeards.

SkywalkerNooooo.jpg

Latest posts

Back