Archer Hops (UK)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiesy

Illmatic
Reaction score
Looks like there's some new hops coming out of the UK, which I'm pretty excited to try. One of these is Archer.

Archer is a new low trellis, wilt resistant hop variety from the Charles Faram Hop Development Program. Tolerant to powdery mildew. It combines classic British aroma with a citrus twist. Useful as copper and dry hop additions.

Flavour and Aroma
Floral with delicate hints of lime and peach.

Bittering Characteristics
Provides traditional, assertive British bitterness.

Flavour Intensity
6/10

Breeding
Proprietary

Analysis
  • Alpha acid: 4-6%
  • Beta acid: 2-3%
  • Co-Humulone: 32-38%
  • Total Oils: 0.6-0.8ml/100g
  • Myrcene: 20-25%
  • Humulene:26-30%
  • Farnesene: 0.4%

Has anyone had any experience brewing with and or sampling from this hop? I'm thinking it would go nice in my next ESB. With the lime and peach descriptors, I'm also thinking it could go nice in a Saison or Hefeweizen/Wheat beer.

http://www.britishhops.org.uk/archer/

Pity that poor old Walter Gabriel isn't around to quaff a pint made from it.

I am brewing an ESB with it currently. Haven't dry hopped with it yet (just hitting tg now) but can report back. So far I like it.

Have also brewed with the other two new ones in - Minstrel and Jester in a collab brew with Napoleone Brewers for GABS. Big citrus notes on aroma (think marmalade and preserved lemon/orange rather than bright fruit) with your typical earthy, spice and tobacco in the flavour. All three are interesting hops in their own right.

brendo said:
I am brewing an ESB with it currently. Haven't dry hopped with it yet (just hitting tg now) but can report back. So far I like it.

Have also brewed with the other two new ones in - Minstrel and Jester in a collab brew with Napoleone Brewers for GABS. Big citrus notes on aroma (think marmalade and preserved lemon/orange rather than bright fruit) with your typical earthy, spice and tobacco in the flavour. All three are interesting hops in their own right.
Sounds very nice.

Latest posts

Back