Archaeologists' Intoxicating Find

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
I think I'd be happier to find the beer, rather than a leper hospital :p

Beers,
Doc

Archaeologists' intoxicating find

Archaeologists searching for remains of a city's medieval past have made an intoxicating discovery - a cache of World War II beer.
The hundred-or-so bottles of lager buried beneath Southampton's Guildhall Square were still capable of developing a head when they were opened.

It is thought they had been stored in the cellar of an off-licence which was destroyed in the Blitz.

The routine dig was to study the site before a new arts centre was built.

Pete Cottrell, the dig leader, was hoping to find evidence of a medieval leper hospital known to have been in the area.

He said the bottles were in very good condition, but the liquid inside was not.

"I think you'd be very ill if you drank that, it's absolutely rank."

Some of the bottles have now been handed to the city's museum, while the rest has been reburied.

WWII_Beer.jpg

I'm sure there's a few Belgian Lambic-lovers amongst us that would drink it! :p

- Snow

Lager at that stage was still quite low in ABV, expecially during the war. I doubt it would have survived at all, considering it was probably filtered.

On a side note, I tried some Gueuze on the weekend from Wets, which closed over 15 years ago! It was still perfectly drinkable, however was quite oxidised. I wanted to try the Kriek but it was sold out :(

I have a 73 courage russian imperial stout in my cellar too ;)

Did anyone try to get a starter going? :)
cheers
johnno

Back