April 13th 2014 long jetty meet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sama

Reaction score
Hi guys
Determined to get to this one with a clovey wheat.Gotta get hold of duane and get some yeast in.Is he still getting wyeasts in?

Hey Sama, Duane still has Wyeast though I bought the last 3068 he had though!
Send him an email, but if he can't get it in, I'll be happy to grow you up some from my pack.

I'm gunning for some more clove too. I've never managed to get any clove in my wheat beers, so I'm doing a long Ferulic Acid rest, under pitching, more wheat and doing an open ferment. We shall see...

Probably should edit the title to be the 13th of April.

Good to see you back Sama

Hey Everyone,
Quick reminder that the next Central Coast Craft Brewers meet is in 2 weeks time on Sunday 13th April at 3pm
Meeting place will be the regular Long Jetty Park (map attached).

The theme is Wheat beers, so if you've got some, bring it and we can compare and discuss techniques and ideas. If you haven't got anything with wheat, bring some of your beer along anyway. Especially if its good.

A small BBQ will be provided with sausage sangas accompany the beverages.

All are welcome - Mates, kids, wives, etc

Hope to see you there
Pete

Gingerbrew said:
I'm gunning for some more clove too. I've never managed to get any clove in my wheat beers, so I'm doing a long Ferulic Acid rest, under pitching, more wheat and doing an open ferment. We shall see...
Under-pitching with 3068 bends it towards banana.

Wasn't it you who told me that ?

Where's that video link with the interview with Wyeast???

Edit: here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEkwp_2Yezo

Ah, Peter sent it to me. The Weizen pitch rate is at around 15:30, but the skinny is: "Underpitch banana, Overpitch clove"

Damn it, I got them mixed up and thought it was underpitch clove, over pitch Banana.
Too late now. Still good though, but no noticable clove. F%*k

Gingerbrew said:
Damn it, I got them mixed up and thought it was underpitch clove, over pitch Banana.
Too late now. Still good though, but no noticable clove. F%*k
Add a couple of actual cloves ;)

(Over)-worked in my xmas beer.

Mr Wibble said:
Add a couple of actual cloves ;)

(Over)-worked in my xmas beer.
Nah, thats a good way to ruin a good beer. I'll keg it tonight or tomorrow. the jury's out on this one - not sure if it'll be epic or terrible. Could go either way.

How did the meeting go,
Many show up, or any standout beers?

There were 5 of us.

It was pretty cold, we stood in a circle around the hearth, sipping beers, practising the rites of BBQ.

We tasted a couple of wheat beers, a sour, pale-ale, porter, and a 4-yo barley wine (Mmmmm). Did I miss any?

We discussed perhaps an excursion to Murrays out of Newcastle, given with enough people they will bus pick-up/return to Newcastle.

The next meeting was planned to be at someone's home, rather than the park.

Back