Apple Juice Concentrate or even Apple cordial?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zadamxtr

Reaction score
Seems like AJC is really easy to get overseas, but I'm struggling to find it anywhere for decent price in AU. Anyone know of a good place to get it? Even a decent Apple Juice codial would be ok I think.

I won't have the answer for you as I don't like cider. I'm sure someone who can help would like to know if you're bottling or kegging though.

I've often had cider made from reconstituted AJC in the US. It was okay, but I doubt anyone would choose it over cider from fresh juice.

FYI: there's a fundamental difference in the logistics of juice distribution between the US and Australia..

In either country you can buy fresh squeezed juice, but most of the trade is in juice from concentrates, one reason being that fruit is seasonal. The difference is that Australian processors reconstitute and then bottle and ship. In the US they ship most as frozen concentrates, the stores sell it, and buyers dilute it, usually one container of concentrate to three of water. That saves on shipping, handling, shelf space and retail costs.

Note: cordial is not concentrate, it's concentrate or juice with much added sugar.

I spoke with our head brewer and his suggestion was to look into getting the apple cider kits as they will already contain the concentrate. But you can also make your own if you have the time. Just take a few cups of unsweetened apple juice of your choice and boil it down to make a more concentrated flavour. Or go truly handmade by cutting and boiling apples in water for a while, pulping them up and straining the mixture through a cheesecloth, the remaining liquid will be concentrated apple flavours. All the best with the brew! - S

Thanks for the suggestion all. I think I am going to try and make my own using supermarket juice. Strange that it's so hard to get here in AU. The cider kits have it, but are ridiculously expensive considering they are basically just AJC and yeast, and maybe a bit of sweetener.

Back