Apparent Beer Doesn't Age Well?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shit, all those bottles I have stored downstairs........Best get to drinking...

From what I gather is the article they are talking about (the link didn't go to the article itself, I had to search...)

For the first time, quantitative LC−MS/MS profiling of 56 hop-derived sensometabolites contributing to the bitter taste of beer revealed a comprehensive insight into the transformation of individual bitter compounds during storage of beer. The proton-catalyzed cyclization of trans-iso-α-acids was identified to be the quantitatively predominant reaction leading to lingering, harsh bitter tasting tri- and tetracyclic compounds such as, e.g. the cocongeners tricyclocohumol, tricyclocohumene, isotricyclocohumene, tetracyclocohumol, and epitetracyclocohumol, accumulating in beer during storage with increasing time and temperature. The key role of these transformation products in storage-induced trans-iso-α-acid degradation was verified for the first time by multivariate statistics and hierarchical cluster analysis of the sensomics data obtained for a series of commercial beer samples stored under controlled conditions. The present study offers the scientific basis for a knowledge-based extension of the shelf life of the desirable beers bitter taste and the delay of the onset of the less preferred harsh bitter aftertaste by controlling the initial pH value of the beer and by keeping the temperature as low as possible during storage of the final beverage.

Link!!

Given one of the contributors is from Bitberger I'm guessing the tests were based on Bitberger?

I'm assuming most people don't have Bitberger (or any German lager) sitting in their cellar?

I'm going to see if my Uni journal database search lets me see the full article.

Well that was quick;

"Freshly manufactured, authentic Pilsner-type beer samples (A−J), bottled in brown glass, were obtained from the German brewing industry. These samples were analyzed before (A0−J0) and after storage under forced aging conditions for 8 months at 28 C (A8−J8). In another set of experiments, samples of Pilsner-type beer D were kept in brown glass bottles in the dark for 8 months at 28 C, for 4 years at 20 C, and for 10 years at about 20 C, respectively. Another beer sample was stored for 4 years at 20 C in a polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottle. Samples of beer D, bottled in brown glass, were kept under forced aging conditions for up to 582 days at 28 C in the dark prior to opening."

So I'm guessing that the Imperial Stouts and Barleywines in my "cellar" might be ok. Better get rid of that 4 year old Bitberger I've been saving though...

Well that was quick;

"Freshly manufactured, authentic Pilsner-type beer samples (A−J), bottled in brown glass, were obtained from the German brewing industry. These samples were analyzed before (A0−J0) and after storage under forced aging conditions for 8 months at 28 C (A8−J8). In another set of experiments, samples of Pilsner-type beer D were kept in brown glass bottles in the dark for 8 months at 28 C, for 4 years at 20 C, and for 10 years at about 20 C, respectively. Another beer sample was stored for 4 years at 20 C in a polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottle. Samples of beer D, bottled in brown glass, were kept under forced aging conditions for up to 582 days at 28 C in the dark prior to opening."

So I'm guessing that the Imperial Stouts and Barleywines in my "cellar" might be ok. Better get rid of that 4 year old Bitberger I've been saving though...

Can you give us a link to the article.

Back