Apa Thoughts?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wort Pig

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time poster but, have been observing and bleeding the site of wisdom for a little while!

Have brewed a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale based recipe. As American malts are almost impossible to find in this country, I substituted with Marris Otter as my staple malt.
As most of the SNPA clone recipes call for Perle for bittering and Cascade for flavour and aroma, I thought I'd go with this. I dry hopped with Cascade plugs (28g worth).
The finished product in the keg is quite good, with generous bitterness (45IBU'S), and some nice caramel/roasty notes pretty good balance on the whole.
If I have any critisism, I would say that the finish displays a real "tropical fruitbox" character, so much so that it is really obvious. I understand that playing with Cascades will do this but, I didn't expect things to be this full on!
If anyone has tried similar recipes, I would like to hear of their versions of events. Any suggestions or improvements would be appreciated.

Pig

PS I'm still quite content drinking the whole 19 Litres!!

I'm looking to do an APA next, so I've been doing a bit of research.

I've been recommended to use Amarillo as the flavour/aroma hop, possibly in conjunction with Cascade. Apparently Amarillo is not as harsh as Cascade can be, and has ximilar characteristics, without quite as much fruitiness.

I'm finding it quite hard to find Amarillo here in Perth, so I might have to look further afield. I've heard a rumour that only one person on earth produces this hop, which I find hard to believe.

Quite happy to ship Amarillo pellets to Perth (some are on their way back to Dampier!)

Just drank a pint of my APA, love the Amarillo aroma/flavor but it does not take over the whole beer like Cascades can do.

As an APA you need to hop it a bit over the top: brash doncha know

Jovial Monk

Used a 2nd generation of Wyeast 1056, flocced out well, with great clarity acheived after 3 weeks @ 2 deg C. Even have a pint on the go as we speak! :D

Back