Apa Extract Recipe Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesuite77

Reaction score
Am looking to put down my second extract brew this weekend. Have developed an APA recipe using Ianh's Kit & Extract Spreadsheet. Would appreciate someone with a more knowledgeable eye going over it and giving any advice. Cheers for the help.

American Pale Ale
Predicted OG = 1.051
Predicted FG = 1.013
IBU = 40.2
EBC = 10.4
ABV = 5.3%

Volume: 23 litres

Fermentables
3.0kg LDME
0.3kg Carahell

Hops
Cascade (6.8%)
49g 60min
14g 10min
7g 0min

Yeast: US05

Grains will be steeped in 5 litres of 65-70C water then washed with an extra 3 litres. Add LDME to raise gravity to 1.040 and start hop boil.

Remainder of DME added at end of boil then chill in sink. Will top up to final volume with refrigerated water.

Ferment at 18C

Looks pretty nice to me. The only thing I'd change (and this is a personal preference thing here) if you had more Cascade available I'd reduce the 60 min addition and increase the 10 min addition to get the same IBU, get that real US slap in the face from the hops thing going on. It'll be a nice beer as is too.

I should say that I'm trusting your numbers here and haven't run them myself.

Looks pretty nice to me. The only thing I'd change (and this is a personal preference thing here - if you had more Cascade available I'd reduce the 60 min addition and increase the 10 min addition to get the same IBU, get that real US slap in the face from the hops thing going on. It'll be a nice beer as is too.

I should say that I'm trusting your numbers here and haven't run them myself.

+1 (including the running numbers caveat)....mind you I'd make that swap even if it did reduce your IBU a bit. Or just add more cascade later regardless because it's yum.

I think the recipe looks good, just like others said I'd up the late addition (double it at least). I really like Carahell, I don't think I've ever over done it, 300g is a good starting point IMO, but you'll easily get 500g in there withough being cloying and especially at 40 IBU. IMO Ferment at 16 ;)

maybe even consider an 80min(instead of the 60) addition to maintain the IBU's. I personally prefer to add alot of cascade late. Not sure you will even notice 7g. I normally use 1.5g per litre late in the boil or @0 for a good hit to the nostrils.

The way I work out my hopping for big hop aroma/flavour beers is to start at the flameout addition and work backwards, then just top up to desired IBU with a 60 min addition. never failed a flavour hit with this method.

Epic make a great all cascade pale ale if you want an example, they have a crazy hopping schedule though. Like everyone else said you want more hops late in the boil for that big flavour/aroma hit.
7g Cascade 7.5%AA at 75m
14g Cascade at 30m
34g Cascade at 10m
42.5g Cascade at 0m
Wait ten minutes
42.5g Cascade - hot whirlpool for 10 more minutes
57g Cascade dry hop dose 1 at ferment temps for 5 days
57g Cascade dry hop dose 2 at cold crash temps for 5 days
*copied from here*

hmm that sounds good lol I got a but load of cascade so this could be on the cards

Thanks heaps for the advice. Will alter the hop schedule to include more late additions and adjust accordingly. Didn't get a chance to do this last weekend but will be getting the ingredients and putting it down later this week.

I must say that does look tasty...

Can I ask how it went? and whether you've sampled any yet???

Possibly a bit early but just wondering what the final product was like...

Back