Apa Base Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me three for Chinook. It's a bit of an unforgiving master, but when it works, it's powerful.
Especially like it at 100 IBUs-(ish) in the Arrogant ******* clone; and with about 500g of dark crystal (which you should never do coz it might scare U, but I'm OK coz I'm arrogant).

I'm due to make this again soon. Show me the Arrogance!!!.

Seth :p

Kai said:
I'm just a big girl, big d. I like silk more than sandpaper.
[post="105031"][/post]​

Hang on I'm a little confused here Kai,are we talkin beer or some weird underwear fetish? :p

FWIW, and somewhat more on thread than some recent comments, I tend to use Barret and Burston's Galaxy malt for APAs. Highly modified, low colour, neutral, economical malt in many ways equally at home in a lighter ale or a lager.

Been known to bitter a few with Ahtanum as well.

In fact, I'll be using this combination in my next one this Sunday.

awrabest, stu

Provided it doesn't go anywhere past the first addition I find Target to be a good bittering hop too. Even in... gulp! APAs. B)

Firmly zips up asbestos flamesuit. :ph34r:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Provided it doesn't go anywhere past the first addition I find Target to be a good bittering hop too. Even in... gulp! APAs. B)

Firmly zips up asbestos flamesuit. :ph34r:

Warren -
[post="105059"][/post]​

Must be the night for terrible confessions. I have been known to use target (with ahtanum) as the first addition in my mongrel AIPAs.

If it has american, ale and pale in the title, irrespective of order, or whether other descriptors are used, there is only one rule: there are no rules :rolleyes:

awrabest, stu

Looks like we'll both be doin' a season in purgatory Stu. :lol:

How dare you use Galaxy... Sinner! :beerbang:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Looks like we'll both be doin' a season in purgatory Stu. :lol:

How dare you use Galaxy... Sinner! :beerbang:

Warren -
[post="105062"][/post]​

Perhaps I am just giving the style the respect it deserves :blink: ?

Whatever, if you are making an APA, please make sure the late aroma additions and any dry hopping additions are as fresh as you have. My last attempt suffered considerably as a result of using older hops in the late additions.

Back