APA advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sifidude

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to brewing - planning my second extract brew. I'm aiming for an APA along the lines of JS 150 Lashes but perhaps with a bit of added aroma. Would like to get some thoughts and advice on my planned recipe below. The wheat malt is a result of discovering that 150 Lashes contains a bit of wheat.

1.5kg pale malt extract LME
1.5kg wheat malt extract LME
200g CaraPils - steeped 30 mins
Pride of Ringwood - 60 mins
Nelson Sauvin - 15 or 10 mins
Amarillo - 5 mins
US-05 ale yeast

I'm unsure of hop quantities and to be honest open to suggestion on what hops to use. I'm also unsure of what my total batch volume should be if im aiming for an ABV of 5%. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Do a search for ianh's extract spreadsheet and you should get an idea of the numbers. You need to know the alpha acid content of your hops.

Hi - I put a brew down about a week ago trying to match JS 150 Lashes - thread here http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/70405-comments-on-150-lashes-recipe/

The hops used in 150 Lashes are Nelson Sauvin, Amarillo and Willamette, but I have no idea of the hop schedue. In the end I went with the NS for bittering and the Amarillo and Willamette for aroma/flavour.

As you'll see in the thread, the jury's out for now. However, it is my first full extract brew so I'm not really sure what it should taste/smell like this early.

Best of luck and I'll be interested to see what you end up doing.

Sifi, looks like a good plan for the 150 lashes. How many litres are you fermenting? Your extract bill should make 21 litres around 4.9% (after bottle conditioning), so I'll assume that...if more/less then tweak accordingly.

Hop wise, you could try something like this:

15gm PoR @ 60
15gm NS @ 20
20gm Amarillo @ 5

In 21 litres that should score you in the range of 32 IBU, If i recall that might be a little high compared to 150 lashes...if you want more/less bitterness, tweak the PoR...very roughly 5gm = 5 IBU in a 21 litre brew (with 8.3%AA PoR anyway). The 20 minute addition will primarily add flavour, the 5 minute addition aroma. But the NS is relatively high in AA, so keep in mind changing the 20 min addition will also have an impact on IBU (roughly, 5gm of NS @ 20 = 4 IBU).

If you love your hop aroma, add more NS/Amarillo (or even Galaxy or Willamette) at flameout, or dry hop around day 4/5 of fermentation if so inclined....just keep in mind the aroma fades over time in the bottle.

Thanks for the responses so far. Much appreciated.

I was thinking around the 21 or 22 litre mark so will go for that.

I had considered dry hopping but might see how this turns out first. I've still got my training wheels on so it's one step at a time for me, and I guess there's always time for another batch :)

I'm currently waiting for my first extract attempt (an Irish red ale) to condition. Once I've tried that I'll attempt the PA. I'll let you know what I end up running with.

Cheers,

Si

Back