Anything wrong with this recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackdaw

Reaction score
After 1/2 a dozen successful "stuck to a recipe" BIAB attempts, thought I'd put something together with what I have in the garage.
Wondering if anything is seriously wrong with the recipe. :huh:
40L urn, 37l water, 75 min mash at 66C, 90 min boil to reduce to 21L ish.
"No chill" method.

4.4kg Gladfield American Ale
1.2kg Rye Malt
0.25kg Crystal
0.050kg Chocolate Malt
5.2ph balancer

20g simcoe @ 60min
20gcascade @ 30min
20g cascade @ 20min
20g cascade @ 15 min
whirlfloc tablet @ 15 min

Some dry hopping after 5 or 6 days?

Brewsmith telling me OG 1.050 FG 1.009 5.4%

Cheers!

jackdaw said:
After 1/2 a dozen successful "stuck to a recipe" BIAB attempts, thought I'd put something together with what I have in the garage.
Wondering if anything is seriously wrong with the recipe. :huh:
40L urn, 37l water, 75 min mash at 66C, 90 min boil to reduce to 21L ish.
"No chill" method.

4.4kg Gladfield American Ale
1.2kg Rye Malt
0.25kg Crystal
0.050kg Chocolate Malt
5.2ph balancer

20g simcoe @ 60min
20gcascade @ 30min
20g cascade @ 20min
20g cascade @ 15 min
whirlfloc tablet @ 15 min

Some dry hopping after 5 or 6 days?

Brewsmith telling me OG 1.050 FG 1.009 5.4%

Cheers!
Looks pretty good to me thus far. How many IBUs?

its looks pretty good.

Maybe drop the cascade at 30mins and move it to 5 for more flavour than bitterness, with the rye content your already getting a spicey finish so the later addition with compliment that better.

What yeast are you planning ?

any water additions like Gypsum to bring the hops through ?

Pratty1 said:
its looks pretty good.

Maybe drop the cascade at 30mins and move it to 5 for more flavour than bitterness, with the rye content your already getting a spicey finish so the later addition with compliment that better.

What yeast are you planning ?

any water additions like Gypsum to bring the hops through ?

Cheers!
Going to use US 05

What amount of gypsum would you recommend?

jackdaw said:
Cheers!
Going to use US 05

What amount of gypsum would you recommend?
the amount of gypsum will depend on the water profile you already have and the ppm (parts per million) for the calcium and sulphate for general town water around 30, depends where you are.

The reccommended calcium for good pale ale is 100, for sulphate on hoppy beers can be as high as 300ppm, targetting 150 will be plenty so adding 5 - 10g to the mash on a 20lt batch will be plenty to do what you need.

have you researched your water ?

Looks alright. Id bring the 30 and 20 min additions to 5 mins or flameout/cube and drop the ibus to 35ish (dont forget to correct for no chill)

This

20g cascade @ 60min
20g cascade @ 10min
20g cascade @ 5 min
20g simcoe @ 5 min

Or.. If it were me..

20g cascade @ 60min

Everything else in the cube

Yob said:
Everything else in the cube
I've been wondering about this. Does it go in a bag in the cube so the hops don't end up in the fermenter? Or just straight in? And what happens if you leave the cube for a month or two before pitching yeast? Any vegetative flavours?

Barge said:
I've been wondering about this. Does it go in a bag in the cube so the hops don't end up in the fermenter? Or just straight in? And what happens if you leave the cube for a month or two before pitching yeast? Any vegetative flavours?
Straight in for me. Never left it longer than 2 days before fermenting with cube hops, but all slop into the fermenter and have gone as long as 5 weeks with Cold Conditioning.
No vege flavours detected by me.

Cheers,
D80

All in man, used to strain coming out of the FV but don't bother now. Have stored for months prior to fermenting

Cool. A bit further OT, what about using spec. grain in the cube. Did a google search but couldn't find anything.

What I mean is the grain version of cube hopping. That way you can split a batch to get a pale beer from the kettle and a darker beer in the cube.

There's probably a thread already that someone can link me too.

No worries, I'll keep searching. When i search terms like grain, cube, no chill, I get generic hits about no chill in general. I was using google however. When i get home I'll try a site search.

Latest posts

Back