Anything Wrong With Doing This?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rizzla

Reaction score
Hi can anyone see a problem with me steeping some crystal or cara grain (200 g or so) then poring into sterilised 2 L glass containers then refridgerate for 3 or 4 days. Come brew day I would then boil this with my hops and a bit more dry malt. I can see this saving me a bit of time as I could steep the grain in the evening or whenever. I can also see the time in the fridge will settle out any course bits ( I use a coffee pot with plunger and some does get through, its never clear.

I can't see any dramas doing this but if anyone can please let me know.

Cheers

Hi can anyone see a problem with me steeping some crystal or cara grain (200 g or so) then poring into sterilised 2 L glass containers then refridgerate for 3 or 4 days. Come brew day I would then boil this with my hops and a bit more dry malt. I can see this saving me a bit of time as I could steep the grain in the evening or whenever. I can also see the time in the fridge will settle out any course bits ( I use a coffee pot with plunger and some does get through, its never clear.

Cheers
Unless you are less than sanitary, no problems. You are reboiling after all.
Nev

yes there is something wrong. I done a partial I mashed the grain one day and thought I will boil few days later come back and the 5lt cube was about to burst and the smell when I opened was unfit for human smell let alone consumption!. If you are going to steep grain then boil it if you plan to store it or there is a way to steep them over night in the fridge?? never tried it but may be better I would also boil that as well

Dont do it, you are wasting your time, your steepings will turn 'vinegar' very quickly, it will need to be boiled or fermented within about 48 hours.
After 3 or 4 days even if you boil it you will get some harsh astringency and yes it probably wont smell too good.

You can cold steep the grains in the fridge the night before. Same time saving, greatly reduced risk of infection.

Cheers

freeze it

What about bringing the steeping to the boil for a few minutes and then pouring
into the glass jar and cover with alfoil straight away? Kind of like a mini no-chill
in a glass bottle.

Just be sure to start by pouring a little by little into the glass bottle at first until
the bottle hots up gradually before pouring it all in to avoid cracking the glass.

As said earlier, and I have tested this with both success and fails through my own fault, just keep 120% on your sanitation. Know about the potential threats (airborne yeast/bacteria) and what they like to live in and avoid keeping your stuff un-sealed anywhere near the conditions they love to live in....

You are always best to use the freshest steeping/boil you can but sometimes you have to compensate. The boil should eliminate anything that has established itself in the time it has been refridgerated well below the temps that most "off nasties" tend to like to develop. If it tastes "bad" before the boil, toss it, but don't fret about it if its not really-really bad and just boil/cool/ferment.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Shred.

"What about bringing the steeping to the boil for a few minutes and then pouring"

Sounds like a plan thanks Malty, thanks everyone, boiling the steepings is not going to take much longer. I have been looking at cold steeping. It seems more appropriate for dark and roasted grains.

Glad I didn't just do what I thought was a good idea without enquiring on experience.

Cheers Again

You can cold steep the grains in the fridge the night before. Same time saving, greatly reduced risk of infection.

This is what I would do. You are only really saving 30 odd minutes though which is roughly how long you would steep spec grains for if using hot water. I guess you could do multiple batches in one go (eg 1 kg).

Steeping in hot water for 10 mins with a bit of a rinse probably gets everything you are going to get from your specialty grains, you are only rinsing the sugars out after all.

Just do that and boil straight away.

Back