Anything Salvagable From Old Gas Hot Water System?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feldon

caveat brasiator
Reaction score
Have just replaced a 16 year old AquaMax 200 natural gas storage hot water system (the cylinder is kaput).

Before it goes to the tip/recyclers (local council does a free pickup) is there anything inside that is worth salvaging for possible home brew use?

I'm thinking of perhaps stainless tubing or valves? Don't want to go to the trouble of ripping it apart if there is nothing useful inside.

Thanks.

Kee at Keg King, uses an old stainless steel hot water system cylinder for his home-brew HLT - but it might depend on how kaput your cylinder is and what it's made of.

Have just replaced a 16 year old AquaMax 200 natural gas storage hot water system (the cylinder is kaput).

Before it goes to the tip/recyclers (local council does a free pickup) is there anything inside that is worth salvaging for possible home brew use?

I'm thinking of perhaps stainless tubing or valves? Don't want to go to the trouble of ripping it apart if there is nothing useful inside.

Thanks.

If it's got a piezo igniter you could rip it out and use it to trigger a lemon cannon. Or as a rather pathetic tazer.

The burner in those things are normally just a pressed steel piece of shit designed to slightly outlast the vessel from memory.

Junk it.

if its a copper cylinder you could get $20 or 30 scrapping it

Thanks, guys. Think I'll get the council to take it away. Its a stainless cylinder but has a hole in it somewhere.

The plumber who installed the new unit wanted $66 to take the old one away. But the council does a free pick-up every month.

Thanks, guys. Think I'll get the council to take it away. Its a stainless cylinder but has a hole in it somewhere.

The plumber who installed the new unit wanted $66 to take the old one away. But the council does a free pick-up every month.

Round here if you put it out before a pickup the scrap merchants will be fighting over it before it hits the curb

if its a copper cylinder you could get $20 or 30 scrapping it

Maheel you are the king of the bargain! What would AHB do without your constant hunting for a deal. :icon_cheers:

now thats an idea for future reference.........cheers..........spog........Kee at Keg King, uses an old stainless steel hot water system cylinder for his home-brew HLT - but it might depend on how kaput your cylinder is and what it's made of.

Back