Anyone Worked In Qatar Or The Middle East?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettprevans

HB so good, it will raise the dead
Reaction score
Ive been asked if I'd consider working in Qatar or the middle east. Being the middle east and not having worked OS before Im interested to hear from anyone that has worked in the middle east.

there are lots of stupid posts about arabs, muslims and the middle east on ahb (namely form the usual trolls), however nothing about working there.

biggest downside i can see so far is that i wont be able to brew :(
from wiki
Alcohol consumption is legal in Qatar, with many restrictions. Luxury hotels are allowed to sell alcohol to their adult non-Muslim customers.[34][35] Foreign nationals may obtain a permit to purchase alcohol for personal consumption. The Qatar Distribution Company (a subsidiary of Qatar Airways) is permitted to import alcohol and operates the only liquor stores in the country.[36] Pork is also legally imported through the Qatar Distribution Company, and may be purchased by holders of a liquor permit.

Until recently, restaurants on the Pearl-Qatar (a man-made island near Doha) were allowed to serve alcoholic drinks.[34][35] In December 2011, however, restaurants on the Pearl were told to stop selling alcohol.[34][37] No explanation was given for the ban.[34][35] Speculation about the reason includes the government's desire to project a more pious image in advance of the countrys first election of a royal advisory body and rumors of a financial dispute between the government and the resorts developers.[37]

I have a mate who is working in abu dhabi, visited him a few times the only problem is that its hot!
my uncle live in soudi for about 10 years in the 90's there was no booze there too! but they did make there own called sid.
if there is a will there is a way!

yeah the heat is the other issues but that doesnt bother me. its only the humidity that kills me.
you can get booze, just wont be able to brew it. mind you with minimal or no tax it makes up for that.

of course there the real issues like schools etc as it would be live in not FIFO. i doubt the missus is keen on staying in Aust with 3 young kids whilst im in Qatar.

My sister has spent 10+ years in Dubai UAE and I have visited a few times. I am speaking generically since I am not familiar with Qatar (but Qatar seem a bit stricter/more conservative than most of the UAE). I should imagine that life in Qatar is similar to Dubai.If you lived in an estate with other expats it might be a blast with street parties etc. I think my sister has a better friendship network (helping take care of kids etc) than she had in England (she is an Aussie). In a country such as in the Middle East, ex-pats tend to use each other for support rather than being able to duck off to their relatives. Therefore you also have more social engaments and opportunities. Just about all expats are similarly minded and affluent so you can have a lot of fun. The cost of living is cheap, petrol is stupidly cheap and since they don't produce much themselves and it is a melting pot of cultures you can get genuine stuff from almost any country (thinking food etc) that is not dumbed down to suit 'the locals'. Health and Education services in Dubai are better than what my sister experienced in England (maybe even better than Australia).If you have blonde children expect the non-European folks to want to pat them/touch them/photograph them. In Dubai, single western women can have a licence to purchase alcohol but not married western women. However there is a place in Umm Al Quwain where there are no limits or licences needed, potentially you could get arrested passing through one of the other emirates - but anyway it is too far from Qatar for you. It can be not so nice for women though.

I cannot help directly with your question, but can say that my 10 years spent working overseas ended up being the best part of my career! Not to mention all the other fun stuff I did whilst there.

The thing with the middle east is that it is just a short flight to Europe for weekend trips etc.

Only advice I can give is the be careful of a very different set of laws and legal system, with much harsher consequences for infractions. These infractions may or may not be intentional or even genuine infractions.
I would not want to live there.

Only advice I can give is the be careful of a very different set of laws and legal system, with much harsher consequences for infractions. These infractions may or may not be intentional or even genuine infractions.
I would not want to live there.
With an undergraduate in crminal justice i can navigaye most legal sysyems. Wrote a paper at uni at indonesia's legal sysyem. But yeah its a consideration. Muslim countries can sonetimes be harder for women.

Thx malted. Thats what i was hoping to hear. Accomadation is supplied so im assuming its an expat 'village' type thing.

Anyways lots of hoops to get through before i even have to worry about making a decision.

Lots of big money sporting events over in Qatar and UAE that provide a massive hype and carnival atmosphere.

Tennis, Golf, MotoGP, V8 touring cars, Powerboating, Rugby 7's. Easy to get to and good fun.

It might be hot but cars, houses and workplaces are airconditioned. Accomodation supplied would probably equal free electricity (run that AC all the time in summer!). Probably get one free first class ticket home per year (transferable - i.e. convert to several economy tickets per year for holidays). Relocation allowances and probably a motor car allowance too. It's tax free income in Dubai, not sure about Qatar. If you stay for five years, Australia won't tax you on your income when you return IIRC.

Comradery amongst expats is high because they are all in the same boat.
In Dubai, a lot of expat estates will have shops, restaraunts, schools, pools, doctors surgeries on site or very close by.

Zero alcohol tolerance for driving in Qatar and Dubai. Apparently being in jail for DUI in Dubai is worse than being in a prison in Bali. Behave, respect local customs and it will most probably be awsome fun.

Being more conservative than Dubai means that they may be downright rude to western women. The logic in Dubai was something like this: Prostitues are western women, prostitutes are vile creatures, therefore all western women are prostitutes and vile creatures. But don't worry they will be paying plenty of visits to prostitutes when they think no one is looking (same goes for drinking in bars). Their societies are just as hypocritical as ours, if not moreso because they are more overt about condemnation. I don't think it is a problem, you just have to be mindfull and keep your nose clean and you can have a terrific time. Estate street/block parties are awsome for adults and kids. Get used to Independence Day Celebrations, Thanks Giving Celebrations, Halloween...

Lots of big money sporting events over in Qatar and UAE that provide a massive hype and carnival atmosphere.

Tennis, Golf, MotoGP, V8 touring cars, Powerboating, Rugby 7's. Easy to get to and good fun.

It might be hot but cars, houses and workplaces are airconditioned. Accomodation supplied would probably equal free electricity (run that AC all the time in summer!). Probably get one free first class ticket home per year (transferable - i.e. convert to several economy tickets per year for holidays). Relocation allowances and probably a motor car allowance too. It's tax free income in Dubai, not sure about Qatar. If you stay for five years, Australia won't tax you on your income when you return IIRC.

Comradery amongst expats is high because they are all in the same boat.
In Dubai, a lot of expat estates will have shops, restaraunts, schools, pools, doctors surgeries on site or very close by.

Zero alcohol tolerance for driving in Qatar and Dubai. Apparently being in jail for DUI in Dubai is worse than being in a prison in Bali. Behave, respect local customs and it will most probably be awsome fun.

Being more conservative than Dubai means that they may be downright rude to western women. The logic in Dubai was something like this: Prostitues are western women, prostitutes are vile creatures, therefore all western women are prostitutes and vile creatures. But don't worry they will be paying plenty of visits to prostitutes when they think no one is looking (same goes for drinking in bars). Their societies are just as hypocritical as ours, if not moreso because they are more overt about condemnation. I don't think it is a problem, you just have to be mindfull and keep your nose clean and you can have a terrific time. Estate street/block parties are awsome for adults and kids. Get used to Independence Day Celebrations, Thanks Giving Celebrations, Halloween...
Thats just it isnt it. Know what ur in for, know ur getting extra $ cause its a lot diff and live by their laws. No diff than we expect to immigrants here. educate urself and respec otgers.

Qatar is tax free :)

Well ill keep researching and worry about it if i apply/get the job.

Thats just it isnt it. Know what ur in for, know ur getting extra $ cause its a lot diff and live by their laws. No diff than we expect to immigrants here. educate urself and respec otgers.

Qatar is tax free :)

Well ill keep researching and worry about it if i apply/get the job.

could'nt agree more with your comment on living by the laws and respect etc.. sorry for the ot comment but with that attitute you will be fine...cheers.......spog...

Mate if i went over there they woulx be blown away by the 'respect' id give. Id be wearing their traditional garb and they would think it was out of respect..but really it would be because arabic robes is a lot cooler than pants, shirt and tie! Airconditition like a dress for the old fellas.

I work for an Israeli company and have been there many times. Tel Aviv is dubbed the New York of the mid east, noth that i have been to compare.

Besides, Israeli girls are the hottest chicks I have ever seen

Jesus worked in the middle east. Look what happened to him.

Do you get a no obligation pre-trip to scope out how day to day life is, meet other expats, look at accomodation, etc etc?

I wouldn't commit unless I had spent some time in the area .. it will be quite a culture shock, which is great and interesting..but can wear off very quickly and then you're stuck. The toll is often much worse on partners and kids (as you get to escape to work every day!).

Good luck

Do you get a no obligation pre-trip to scope out how day to day life is, meet other expats, look at accomodation, etc etc?

I wouldn't commit unless I had spent some time in the area .. it will be quite a culture shock, which is great and interesting..but can wear off very quickly and then you're stuck. The toll is often much worse on partners and kids (as you get to escape to work every day!).

Good luck
Thx for the on topic response.

Not sure yet. Havent progressed that far yet. Most the the guides ive found online suggest h go over for a month before u commit moving the family. Qatar could also just be a stepping stone to a move 'friendly' cmiddle eastern country like dubai.

Wait and see.at this stage.

Thx for the on topic response.

Not sure yet. Havent progressed that far yet. Most the the guides ive found online suggest h go over for a month before u commit moving the family. Qatar could also just be a stepping stone to a move 'friendly' cmiddle eastern country like dubai.

Wait and see.at this stage.

Let me know if you want to chat with a mate who has just got back from a 12 month stint in Dubai... He can probably give you a pointer or two over a beer...

Andy

Let me know if you want to chat with a mate who has just got back from a 12 month stint in Dubai... He can probably give you a pointer or two over a beer...

Andy
Ashame he isnt a MB member. Recruit him. He can take over as a very ordinay member if i go, lol.

Will do andy. Cheers.

I worked in Doha back a few years ago. Back then alcohol was consumed mainly in bars located in the bigger hotel chains although I did meet a few local chaps who offered to get me alcohol if I wanted to consume elsewhere.
There are lots of Sri Lankans , Indian and Pakastanis doing the more labour intensive work over there. The food was simply awesome and reasonably cheap, from excellent curries and biryani to flat chook(done over charcoal) or Middle Eastern banquets (think chargrilled meats). They had a few fast food outlets as well (KFC, Nandos, Subway etc). Supermarkets stocked most of the things you could get in Oz, even BBQ shapes :) .
I stayed in the Marriott so can't tell you what it is really like to live there. It was bloody warm in March/April I was there.

I'm sure it has changed quite a bit since I was last there.

C&B
TDA

Back