Anyone Wanna Send Me A Sample?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like chubbybat is certainly down at the moment. Crunched, I've sent you a PM with the details as an interim measure so you can try and get in touch with Dave.

Thanks Darryl, just replied.

And thanks heaps to everyone who has offered their help. It's good to see that the brewing community is happy to help out where they can. Makes it so much easier for the new and uninitiated and I have to admit that I never expected this kind of response. Thanks again - makes brewing all the more enjoyable.

Crunched,
Not only the quality but the variety of beer you are able to make with AG is huge. As many others have posted get to a brew day and you will go from there.

Crunched - get along to the Canberra Brewers Club meeting the 1st Friday night of the month at the German Harmione Club in Narabundah....

Will taste some excellent AG Beers there.

Without mashing you are simply not brewing; you are fermenting.

Crunched - get along to the Canberra Brewers Club meeting the 1st Friday night of the month at the German Harmione Club in Narabundah....

Will taste some excellent AG Beers there.
1st Thursday night of the month! Trust me, I'm a Canberran! :D

Well, I just finished a sample of bouncingcastle's American Amber Ale that he sent me - very very nice. As I said to him in PM - if all AG's are half as good as this, I'm hooked. Thanks again.

I also visited the Wig and Pen here in Canberra for a few samples. I have to say I wasn't that impressed (to be honest, I actually enjoyed bouncingcastle's amber ale more than any of the beers at Wig and Pen), and the atmosphere wasn't that great either. To me it seemed like they were just another pub trying to make money. When I asked the guy at the bar if they had any other dark ales or porters, he just stared at me blankly and said "What you see is what we have". He then tried to describe the stout to me as "a breakfast in a glass" and upon noticing that I was waiting for more details "I've only been here a month".

Well, I just finished a sample of bouncingcastle's American Amber Ale that he sent me - very very nice. As I said to him in PM - if all AG's are half as good as this, I'm hooked. Thanks again.

I also visited the Wig and Pen here in Canberra for a few samples. I have to say I wasn't that impressed (to be honest, I actually enjoyed bouncingcastle's amber ale more than any of the beers at Wig and Pen), and the atmosphere wasn't that great either. To me it seemed like they were just another pub trying to make money. When I asked the guy at the bar if they had any other dark ales or porters, he just stared at me blankly and said "What you see is what we have". He then tried to describe the stout to me as "a breakfast in a glass" and upon noticing that I was waiting for more details "I've only been here a month".

I would have to second the post on getting to the Canberra Brewers club. there are a lot of very experience brewers who are more than willing to share some of their beer with you. ACT has had a number of National champion brewers and National beer of show winners and they really know what they are talking about. It is 7:45 on the 1st THURSDAY of the month. The december meeting will be the last until February.

As for the Wig and Pen, it depends on who you talk to for the service i guess. I took a whole heap of mates to the wig on my birthday and had them hooked after the first couple of samples. Richard who is the brewer at the Wig does a fantastic job with his beers, he brews a number of seasonal beers as well as his regulars. You may have been there on a slow day, but i personally think that the atmosphere is great of a night. better than going to some night club and getting charged 5-6 dollars for a VB or carlton.

I would have to second the post on getting to the Canberra Brewers club. there are a lot of very experience brewers who are more than willing to share some of their beer with you. ACT has had a number of National champion brewers and National beer of show winners and they really know what they are talking about. It is 7:45 on the 1st THURSDAY of the month. The december meeting will be the last until February.
And you'll meet some bloke who makes a pretty decent robust porter, although don't expect an invitation to his birthday. <_<

* Please note Australia Post will not carry this product and courier rates will need to be confirmed by phone or email.

That's directly off of the westbrew website. :blink:

Ignore Westbrew. They've gone out of their way to shun the all-grain brewers of Perth. I remember being told there a few years back that all-grain beer was a waste of time. Same thing with liquid yeast. They were more interested in trying to sell me a heat belt.

TWOC, Gryphon Brewing and Craftbrewer will all deliver grain, hops, proper yeast etc in WA.

PM me if you're still looking to try some all-grain beers. I'll try and hook you up.

<chopped>
PM me if you're still looking to try some all-grain beers. I'll try and hook you up.
</chopped>
Well, you looked after me quite well, and I still have a couple of your beers left at home to bolster me.

I appreciated your recommendations on the club night at ANHC and would recommend your selections to anyone.
<expurgate>I would have to second the post on getting to the Canberra Brewers club. there are a lot of very experience brewers who are more than willing to share some of their beer with you. ACT has had a number of National champion brewers and National beer of show winners and they really know what they are talking about.
</expurgate>
No disrespect intended to the writer (or the brewer of said beer), but the term "National Beer of Show" gets little respect from me if it's based on total points, rather than a Best of Show round. The "highest total points" often goes to the biggest beer, and not necessarily the finest and closest to style. Excellent beer it may be, but the term "Best of Show" needs to be decided by a true showdown, and not a tally-up. Some might say, "don't mention the war", so let's forget I mentioned this, eh? <_<

Les :rolleyes:

No disrespect intended to the writer (or the brewer of said beer), but the term "National Beer of Show" gets little respect from me if it's based on total points, rather than a Best of Show round. The "highest total points" often goes to the biggest beer, and not necessarily the finest and closest to style. Excellent beer it may be, but the term "Best of Show" needs to be decided by a true showdown, and not a tally-up. Some might say, "don't mention the war", so let's forget I mentioned this, eh? <_<

Les :rolleyes:

I am not arguing about the way beers are judged by any means, as I have only been brewing this year and am as yet undecided on what opinions to form. The point I was making was that if crunched wants to try some great AG beers and talk to some great AG brewers than the city in which he lives has some great brewers (and a great club) who have helped me and many other new brewers in the quest to make nice, drinkable beer.

Back