Anyone Wanna Send Me A Sample?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best suggestions here has been to go to the local bottle shop and buy some small micro brews.
As for reason for getting into AG.......I would be very surprised if anyone does it for cost, just ask my Mrs. Your main passion would have to be the process of making beer and some of the science behind it, and this is something you would need to research yourself. If this is not the case I would highly recommend staying with kits and making as good beer as AG without all the setup expense. The big + for AG brew is the flexibility to tweak each brew to your liking, so without a good knowledge of the process and effects this would be largely a pointless exercise.
Sure, taste some AG brews, some will be good and some bad but dont get into AG just to make good beer, I am sure this can be done with kits.

Steve

Awesome, cheers for the info tourist. How can I find out more about this brew day in Gunghalin (date, time, place etc)?
Probably best to visit www.chubbybat.com and email Dave, who is a good fella. Be bold and introduce yourself and I'm sure he'll be very welcoming. Always nice to offer beer or BBQ food for these things.

I started BIAB about 3 months ago, all I added to my equipment was a cheap 50LT aluminium stockpot, stuck a $12 kettle element in it and sit it on top of a $30 portable electric hot plate I already had. Got the missus to make the bag from a big circle of swiss voile with a cord sewn around the edge. And bought a $5 plastic mash paddle so it felt like I was doing it right :p So it cost bugger all to setup, and honestly my first brew was pretty average but I think the 2nd one is light years ahead of any extract brew I've made so far. Tastes like real beer LOL. I have no regrets and the only extract brew I'll bother with now is the Coopers pale ale kit.

PS start with pilsener malt if you want to do a light coloured beer first. I used traditional ale malt for my 1st and the maltiness was a bit much for me!

PS start with pilsener malt if you want to do a light coloured beer first. I used traditional ale malt for my 1st and the maltiness was a bit much for me!

Too malty? Heresy! :lol:

ale malt too malty...

like making love in a canoe, ******* close to water.

I started BIAB about 3 months ago, all I added to my equipment was a cheap 50LT aluminium stockpot, stuck a $12 kettle element in it and sit it on top of a $30 portable electric hot plate I already had. Got the missus to make the bag from a big circle of swiss voile with a cord sewn around the edge. And bought a $5 plastic mash paddle so it felt like I was doing it right :p So it cost bugger all to setup, and honestly my first brew was pretty average but I think the 2nd one is light years ahead of any extract brew I've made so far. Tastes like real beer LOL. I have no regrets and the only extract brew I'll bother with now is the Coopers pale ale kit.

This is what has initially led me into the AG realm - reviled mentioned this BIAG thing, and after reading about it I realised how easy it was to get into AG. And thus why I am sitting on the fence - everyone keeps telling me "try AG, once you do you'll be hooked". So here I am - just needing that little push...

tourist, I can't seem to get chubbybat.com working?

This sounds like a good idea. Any WA AGers wanna help me out? I need to weigh up if it's really worth getting the grain up from Perth before I start looking at AG

This sounds like a good idea. Any WA AGers wanna help me out? I need to weigh up if it's really worth getting the grain up from Perth before I start looking at AG
Great to hear someone else is in the same situation. Let me know your thoughts.

well, being 600 odd kays from perth, and no real homebrew shop here in Kal, I would have to purchase my grain from westbrew in Perth. Aus Post won't deliver it (something about it being a foodstuff), so I'll have to try find a courier to get it up here. All seems like it coud possibly be more trouble than it's worth. Then again i've heard people comparing AG & KandK to drinking coffee brewed with freshly ground beans & instant. I'd love to go AG, I just need that tiny push over the edge lol

There is often a great hesitancy about making the leap into AG, and participating in a piss up brew day is a real eye opener. AG can be as easy, or as hard, as you want to make it. Some people get into the hard science and technical detail of it, others are just happy to brew good beer. Either way, it's not as hard or as daunting as you might expect. And it doesn't have to be expensive. Bling doesn't make good beer. It makes it easier to make good beer. I went from kits to extract to extract with steeped grains to AG (I skipped partials, and revisited them later). By the time I was at extract brewing, the swap to AG cost me a massive $30.00 or so. I was lucky, and had some things given to me, but at the end of the day, It was still cheap. So the best advice I can give is for you to go see an AG brewer do his thing, it will really open you're eyes.

Aus Post won't deliver it (something about it being a foodstuff)

:huh:

I've had them deliver it from G&G in Melbourne before I discovered the LHBS... Tell 'em it's bird seed, how they gonna know the difference?

* Please note Australia Post will not carry this product and courier rates will need to be confirmed by phone or email.

That's directly off of the westbrew website. :blink:

What about Ross? I'm sure he'll be happy to pack it as birdseed.

Yes Australia post deliver's quite a lot of my birdseed :D .

Seriously though, earlier this year I tasted homebrewed AG for the very first time. I will never forget it, Big Ray's Saison at about 11.35am on the Big Brew Day. It was an epiphany - sure I could go on using extract and kits and augment them to make good beer, but this AG stuff was great: the flavours, the aromas, the ABV - and I knew then that I was a goner.

I jumped in feet first and even my first few poorly planned and badly executed AG beers tasted so much better than any of my kit beers did. Still learning though, lots to learn....

cheers

grant

Yes Australia post deliver's quite a lot of my birdseed :D .

Seriously though, earlier this year I tasted homebrewed AG for the very first time. I will never forget it, Big Ray's Saison at about 11.35am on the Big Brew Day. It was an epiphany - sure I could go on using extract and kits and augment them to make good beer, but this AG stuff was great: the flavours, the aromas, the ABV - and I knew then that I was a goner.

I jumped in feet first and even my first few poorly planned and badly executed AG beers tasted so much better than any of my kit beers did. Still learning though, lots to learn....

cheers

grant
Oh come on, stop teasing. This is what I hear all the time. Really, I am keen to try an AG brew - and if it's better than the extracts I've been brewing (which so far I am happy with), then I'll most definitely convert.

Latest posts

Back