Anyone Wanna Send Me A Sample?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crunched

Reaction score
I've been tossing up whether to go AG for a while and had pretty talked myself out of it, at least until another forum member (reviled) told me about BIAB. After reading up, this process sounds pretty simple and I'm keen to give it a go. Although I think I'm still on the fence. I'd only have to buy a little bit of gear for BIAB, but enough to stick the idea in the too hard basket. My thinking at the moment is that I am happy with extract brewing with speciality grains. BUT....

I've never tried a homebrewed AG beer before. The only other homebrewers that I know in the area either only do K&K or AG when time suits (which hasn't been anytime this year, since I have started). So I don't really know what I am missing - maybe AG will be 100X better than my extracts?

Does anyone wanna send me a sample of one of your AG beers? Convince me with the taste, which everyone reckons is so much better than K&K and extract brewing?

Of course I'd be happy to pay postage and whatever you want for your brews and your time. Anyone interested? Perhaps someday I can return the favour?

Meanwhile I'll be getting on to my local brewing club and seeing if I can try out their samples - but I'd still be interested in forum member's samples.

Someone help out the poor man! Otherwise I will! :beerbang:

if i bottled my beer you would have 3 different beers coming your unfortuantly i dont, sorry mate and i hate to send you a bottle straight from the tap only for it to be flat when it gets there.

I'll be interested to hear what you find out. I am more than happy with my extract brews with speciality grains so far.

if i bottled my beer you would have 3 different beers coming your unfortuantly i dont, sorry mate and i hate to send you a bottle straight from the tap only for it to be flat when it gets there.
I was afraid I would hear this! I bet most of you guys keg it all? Thanks anyway!

And I will definately post my thoughts - happy to share what I've learnt! I've heard nothing but good things from everyone who doea AG, so I'm really keen to try it. Plus, so many people have told me that once I taste AG, I will never want to do anything else - so this is the push to get me off the fence.

Me too, but anyone is welcome to drop in for a sample, I always have 4 on tap.

Steve

I'd be happy too.

In the bottle I have,

- APA
- Oktoberfest
- American Amber Ale

In the keg I have a german pilsner that I would be happy to use my CPBF and bottle one up for you

Take your pick (all 4 if you want) ... keeping in mind, these are my 6,7,8 and 8th AG's - so you could expect to pull something like this out very, very quickly if you jump sides

PM me and we'll work it out :)

EDIT: spayling

PM sent!

I'm really keen to see how these AG's go - as it is, I'm pretty keen on the whole extract brewing and after reading about the BIAB that reviled put me onto, it all has got me even more keen. And now that I have my keg setup, I should be aiming for the best beer I can brew!

I would suggest you try and get in touch with the local ACT AG brewers, I think they even meet up every now and then and see if you can be a spectator at a brew day. Jumping online and sponging free beer is just un-Australian..:p

I'd have been quick to point the finger at this thread as an obvious grab for free beer too. But the OP has 79 posts to his name which is fairly substantial, so I will take the request for what it is.

Unfortunately I only have beer in the keg atm so can't help.

Can I also suggest organising a case swap with local brewers.

The NSW Xmas Case Swap already has a full board. But you could put your name on the reserve list in the hope of getting a call up. Some guys bring beer up from Wollongong way, so it wouldn't be too big a stretch to drop your case off there and then pick it up later on.

I'm a couple of hemispheres away, otherwise I'd gladly send you a couple of samples. However, all you really have to do is go down to the local liquor store and select a few micros or imported beers if you want to taste what you are capable of brewing at home. All grain OR extract - it doesn't really matter once you get your technique down as I've tasted some absolutely outstanding extract beers. It all comes down to the details and skill of the brewer. And yes, anyone can brew beers that are on a par with or better than some of the best commercial beers on the market.

One of the reasons to go all grain is cost, especially if you buy your malt in bulk. Another reason is control - you know exactly what went into your beer and you don't have to guess what is in the extract. A drawback is the extra equipment, but you don't need expensive equipment to make good beer.

If possible, join a local club and visit other AG brewers in your area to see what they do and the equipment they use (and usually have made themselves). They'll have plenty of samples for you to try. ;)

Edit: I should point out that a couple members of my brew club absolutely FLOORED everyone at our last meeting with their Belgian Wit. It was their first AG batch, and it was majestic. That said, don't expect your first batch to be a classic. Mine sure wasn't, but that's part of the learning curve. ;)

I would suggest you try and get in touch with the local ACT AG brewers, I think they even meet up every now and then and see if you can be a spectator at a brew day. Jumping online and sponging free beer is just un-Australian..:p

chance to convert a fellow aussie and extract brewer to AG - thats Australian enough for me. Biggups bouncingcastle for sorting it.

Crunched - Like the other guys say, find your nearest club and go watch a brew too.

Sponging free beer? Un-Australian??

Come on guys, that's not really fair, and read my first post again. As I said, I'm happy to pay all costs as well as whatever you want for the beer and your time. More than happy to do that as I know the effort involved. And I'm happy to swap if anyone wants an extract brew or 2 - but I doubt they compare to AG from what I have heard.

And un-Australian?? I don't think there could be anything much more Australian than a fellow home-brewer asking for a sample from his peers to convince him to get more brewing gear.

But a big thanks to those who have offered - and as I mentioned in my first post, I'd be glad to return the favour where I can. This forum and it's members have been really helpful during my learning process and I'm more than happy to help out where I can.

You could email the President of the Canberra Brewers Club - Email

Am sure he/she could point you in the direction of some AG brewers who are more than willing to share their thoughts on AG over a good brew or 2.

Or you could go and visit the 2 microbreweries in Canberra - The Wig and Pen and Zierholz. Am sure they have connections to Canberras HB community.

If that fails, PM me with your details i am will send you a bottle of something i entered in ANAWBS.......

*sigh*..... :p is the closest we have to a tongue in cheek emoticon, maybe I should have just posted "<insert huge tongue in cheek here>"

Seriously though, mate, you will gain far more from doing a brew day with a few local guys than you will from getting a bottle of someone's best in the post. Chances are they'll have a coldie for you to sample and be able to answer your questions on all the new wonderful flavours you can taste as well

Cheers for that DrSmurto, I'll send an email to the Canberra brewers club president now and see if there is a demo brew or something happening any time soon. Thanks for the tips. Good point about the Wig and Pen too - might have to visit them this weekend! I'd never heard of Zierholz before, I'll take a look.

I've only done one AG batch and while I have a way to go, the difference in flavour between it and the extract batches i normally do was really noticable.

The richness of the malt lingered for ages with a honey sweetness and velvety smoothness - nothing like the twang I often get from extracts.

And it's nowhere near as difficult as I expected it to be.

Just do it. Start simple, but do it.

Kev

From the President, Canberra Brewers:

What's happening at the November meeting,

Wig & Pen Trophy will be judged
Brewer of the year will be announced
Medal presentation from the ACT Championships
Christoph Zierholz form Brewery Zierholz will be giving a presentation on setting up a microbrewery, discussing his own recipe designs & guiding us through some of his beer.
Raffles

This is the second last meeting of the year hope to see you there.

Crunched - just come along and bring some of your kit beers and have a laugh and get pissed on AG! Best part is, one of the most successful Canberra Brewers will be giving you his beer to drink. What's to lose?

There is also a 140+Litre brew day this weekend in Gunghalin, which all are welcome to if you were keen.

Awesome, cheers for the info tourist. How can I find out more about this brew day in Gunghalin (date, time, place etc)?

Latest posts

Back