Anyone using induction?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tex083

Reaction score
I was watching Brew Dogs season 2 today and saw they were using induction hotplates on the brew rig. It got me thinking I would like to move away from a keggle boiler with a 2200W element in it as its difficult to clean. I have been looking at different methods of mounting elements in pots but most of the good solutions are sold out. (5 star) I could get one form the USA but that's a bit expensive.
Electricity is a must as I'm brewing in a basement with 4 stairs down and don't want the CO & CO2 to build up and kill my brew dog!

Is anyone out there using a portable/single induction hot plate? I'm building a brew rig so I can use a portable or mount a single hotplate into the bench no problems. I just want to get some feedback on how they go at getting 30L of worth to the boil.
I only ever do single batches as I'm the only one drinking the beer & I bottle everything so no need to make that process any longer than it has to be!

I have a Ribonox pot that has yet to be drilled and would rather only put 2 holes in it. (1 for drain & 1 for whirlpool) it will work on induction.

Thanks for the feedback I'm in no hurry to buy anything as the Keggle is working fine its just heavy and doesn't drain all that well, I would prefer something easier to work with. Also whirlpooling would be easier without a giant element disrupting the flow.

Oh YES I have searched and read every topic with INDUCTION in the post. I just hope someone is using induction for single batches.

Cheers Tex

I've looked at induction for 3V, but not single vessel, so I can't answer the induction question. I can offer up an interesting option though:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281581037244?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Basically a heat belt on steroids. Arzaman on AHB is using one of those for a single vessel system. http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/59563-mathos-controller/?p=1271023

I've contacted the manufacturers about getting a 2400v one made and they quoted me around $200. They make them to custom length and voltage for not much more than their standard prices. It's easiest to contact them through their eBay store if you are interested.

Yes, I've used a portable induction plate quite a few times for partials. I use the ubiquitous Big W 19L pot and it's dodgy enough to work. However if I try to use it for cooking, my kitchen pans are high grade stainless and there's not enough iron to trigger the magnets so it does nothing. It's a good Euro brand, not sure of the name and I'm out of the brewery at the moment so I can't check.

I generally boil about 15 litres and it is quite fast. I'm not sure that it's exponentially faster than electric or gas but it's easy, light, portable and multi-purpose. If you can get one for the right price, I'd try it out.

Cheers for the replies, I might have a look at one of the induction plates on eBay and see if they can boil close to 30l of wort. I'm not looking for a massive boil just a nice rolling boil.

Lincoln2 said:
Yes, I've used a portable induction plate quite a few times for partials. I use the ubiquitous Big W 19L pot and it's dodgy enough to work. However if I try to use it for cooking, my kitchen pans are high grade stainless and there's not enough iron to trigger the magnets so it does nothing.
Whoa! Thanks for the heads up, Lincoln. I've been planning a major upgrade in the batcave incorporating some induction hotplates, as well as changing the gas cooktop in the kitchen after that. I've also got a kitchen full of really good pots & pans (most of which are really good stainless steel that I bought about 20 years ago and thanks to my good wife, are still almost new looking) and I just assumed that all stainless and copper cookware worked on them. Now I'll have to look further into it. Thanks mate.

Ive seen it used in the industrial field to heat large steel shafts prior to clad welding it was a machine and a cable wrap they wrap around the shafts and it gets the metal to high temps. don't think it would work with a brew kettle but it did get me thinking.

I have a standard electric hotplate which I controlled via a STC1000 for a HLT now I have a PID and element in the HLT. I might give the old girl a go and see if 2200w are enough to boil 25l. If so I may upgrade to induction for efficiency. (power not brew house efficiency)

I had a breville portable single induction hot plate when I was renting about 7 years ago. It was good but I noticed if I was trying to boil a large stock pot (10L?) it would overheat and turn itself off for a period of time. I'm not sure how much they have improved over the years but you are likely to have problems boiling home brew sized volumes for 60-90min.

I've used the 2200w maxxkon portable induction stove for a 19litre pot no problems, I don't think it would handle a full sized batch though. This unit is not compatible with a stc-1000 or similar either.

Tahoose said:
I've used the 2200w maxxkon portable induction stove for a 19litre pot no problems, I don't think it would handle a full sized batch though. This unit is not compatible with a stc-1000 or similar either.
What is the diameter of those pots. On my induction stove it says maximum diameter of 26cm.

Have you seen this 3V one (video that is)?

What he dose in the update with two induction cookers?

comments worth a read too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an induction cooker which I use in the caravan

I use the special pans to cook with , need a steel base

I sometimes have a problem cooking a steak as the heat build up and the cooker turns off , error message ???

I do not thing a 1 hr boil would survive

Mardoo that unit looks great but I don't have a 15a circuit.

Interesting reading about the thermal cut out on the hotplates, maybe some sort of fan could keep the temp down.

kjg I will have a look at the YouTube videos for inspiration.

I'm currently in Italy on holidays, so just doing some beer thinking and drinking.
I was thinking about trying to join the brewery circuit to my electric oven circur to get a few more amps, may have to call on a mate who is a sparky for that. I would love to boil with induction and not have to put an element into the kettle.

kjg said:
Have you seen this 3V one (video that is)?

What he dose in the update with two induction cookers?

comments worth a read too.

So much for me worrying about maximum pot size...........

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone used those Maxkon ones? Our electric stove in the flat we are renting is average at best anyway, so im considering picking one up to try it out.

pcmfisher said:
What is the diameter of those pots. On my induction stove it says maximum diameter of 26cm.
The pots are about 32cm I think.

I use the maxxkon one, goes ok for a cheap unit. A bit noisy though.

If you pig the cake button which is the first button on the left the unit won't stop, some other buttons can stop mid boil.

Back