Anyone Used Wlp838 Southern German Lager Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Byran

Reaction score
I have had a lager Simple (pilsener with saaz and summer saaz) fermenting at about 12 deg for almost 15 days and its still not done yet, starting to dry out as of today though.

There are noticeable flavours like Vegemite in the beer though they are not dominant.

I was wondering if this is a lager thing as that is the same flavour I got from my starter bottle.

Is this common and will it dissipate with CC?

This is my first lager im an ale man they are so much quicker..........

I have had a lager Simple (pilsener with saaz and summer saaz) fermenting at about 12 deg for almost 15 days and its still not done yet, starting to dry out as of today though.

There are noticeable flavours like Vegemite in the beer though they are not dominant.

I was wondering if this is a lager thing as that is the same flavour I got from my starter bottle.

Is this common and will it dissipate with CC?

This is my first lager im an ale man they are so much quicker..........

was the sample you drew full of yeast ? might just be you got a mouthful of yeast

i'm surprised its not finished yet, how old was the vial and how big was your starter ?

was the sample you drew full of yeast ? might just be you got a mouthful of yeast

i'm surprised its not finished yet, how old was the vial and how big was your starter ?

Ive been checking that, it tastes pretty nice I guess there would have been some yeast in the sample and Vegemite is made of lager yeast so yeh..... maybe after a CC I could get a better taste.

The vial was good and kicked off straight away in the starter which was over a liter, the ferment has been going pretty consistently but it just keeps going and the beer is only starting to dry out now.

I really should get an Oxy bottle off Dimi.

Should I let it cool out for a while or rack it and CC?

Im still testing the lager scene mate.
On the plus side, I pitched a smack pack of 1272 into a ale I did with Crystal as aroma and it smells ridiculous.

Ive been checking that, it tastes pretty nice I guess there would have been some yeast in the sample and Vegemite is made of lager yeast so yeh..... maybe after a CC I could get a better taste.

The vial was good and kicked off straight away in the starter which was over a liter, the ferment has been going pretty consistently but it just keeps going and the beer is only starting to dry out now.

I really should get an Oxy bottle off Dimi.

Should I let it cool out for a while or rack it and CC?

Im still testing the lager scene mate.
On the plus side, I pitched a smack pack of 1272 into a ale I did with Crystal as aroma and it smells ridiculous.

you broke your hydrometer right ?

i reckon she's done, and if kegging then go ahead and drop the temp as close to zero for a week and then keg it, dont bother with secondary

you broke your hydrometer right ?

i reckon she's done, and if kegging then go ahead and drop the temp as close to zero for a week and then keg it, dont bother with secondary

Yeh will do Ill put it cold today and keg it next week.
Interested to see how it turns out.
Maiden pilsner.

Lagers (especially when pitched at cool temperature) generally require significantly more yeast than ales do.
To pitch the 'industry standard' amount of yeast into a 22L batch of an average gravity lager, you'd need a starter about 4L in size.

If you pitched significantly less yeast than is often recommended, it's quite possible that it's not finished yet - lagers (especially when pitched/fermented cool) also take longer than ales to ferment.

Lagers (especially when pitched at cool temperature) generally require significantly more yeast than ales do.
To pitch the 'industry standard' amount of yeast into a 22L batch of an average gravity lager, you'd need a starter about 4L in size.

If you pitched significantly less yeast than is often recommended, it's quite possible that it's not finished yet - lagers (especially when pitched/fermented cool) also take longer than ales to ferment.
Thanks Wolfy,

It did keep on going for a while but I do think it has some not desirable flavours in it.
As both you and Don Burke said it may be due to a low yeast count from my initial starter. Ill pitch on top of this batch and see if it improves on the next one........

Back