Anyone use a 115L Homemaker Bar Fridge for Fermenting?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatus

Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone have this 115L Homemaker Bar Fridge from Kmart?

I found this old thread about the homemaker 120L being perfect for a bunnings fermenter as you can remove the freezer section with just a couple of skrews and fit a bunnings fermenter perfectly. Obviously this 115L is a new model, does anyone have it and does the freezer remove in the same way?

Cheers!

Edit: OK, there were comments that the one in the old thread was a 120L, but i assume the 115 in the model numbers mean they are indeed 115, may be the exact same fridge still. Will go down and check the model numbers and post here when confirmed.

It doesn't look the same (look at the temperature dials). The Kmart website also looks very much like the freezer plate is the cooling element (like most bar fridges) unlike the one in the thread that is in the walls of the fridge.

Following as I was looking at one of these the other day for the same reasons.

re-read this bit in that thread

2 - The cooling lines are integrated into the sides of the fridge, there is no metal plate at the top

the one in the kmart link has the cooling plate just above the freezer tray and would requir bending i reckon

bending will void the warranty and maybe destroy the fridge if you rupture it....

if at kmart you can open one and have a look... you can then tell

it might fit a CUBE but and you ould ferment in a cube

As above you would be voiding your warranty but........
I have one of these with the freezer section bent and relocated along the back wall, this 2 × 20lt cubes at a squeeze.

Thanks guys - came to the same conclusion - the newer homemaker models arent the same and have a thin curved metal plate around the freezer section. I bought one anyway ($50 second hand on gumtree) with the thought of using jerry can style fermenters in front of the compressor hump (this section is actually quite generous) but the freezer panel bit is so thin it should be ok to bend.

Any tips on bending it without rupturing anything? Mine seems to be attached to a coolant pipe at the upper most back right corner, and then curled into the profile of the fridge on the right.

Otherwise, has anyone seen any 25L (or even better 30L) jerry style fermenters around? Bunnings ones only seem to go up to 20L.

I very carefully bent the freezer section against the back of the fridge successfully without hearing a dreaded hiss... now ive turned it on its making a strange sizzling noise, unsure if this is usual operation or if gas is indeed escaping - it does appear to be getting cold, so thats got to be a good sign. Will post back tomorrow and tell you if i am down $50 or not B-)

Hoorah! Its still cold! All is well!

So in conclusion on these fridges - Not good unless you are willing to bend the freezer plate down - and its not the easiest fridge to do that with either, as the freezer plate sits in a groove at the top, so you have to man-handle the edges of the plate a bit before you get any movement downwards at all. My advice, steer clear and see if you can find one of the older homemaker models (has a small curved thermostat below the freezer section, rather than being attached to the freezer section - see the older thread).

If you are going to bend the freezer plate, slowly and carefully bend by putting pressure on the back of the plate where the coolant pipe attaches, rather than using the entire plate to lever it (i think this would be more likely to kink the pipe).

Yeah I ferment in one if the older homemaker bar fridges. The freezer just screws straight out. Is a good fit for a bunnings fermenter with glad wrap instead of air lock. It's a shame they've changed the design.

Latest posts

Back