Anyone tried making cheese at home?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did one a similar all-day course, though it was a degree more expensive.
It didn't blow me away - if you're into doing your own reading and research, you probably don't need the courses.

Keep the cheese and the brewing separate though, as yeast can get into and spoil cheese, and of course lacto-bacilli and brewing usually don't mix either :)

Though you can and should use whey to sweeten beers (chuck it in at the start of the boil to kill the bacteria). Yeast doesn't eat lactose.

You can usually get a couple of varieties of milk from natural food stores that are better for cheesemaking too. In Melbourne we get our milk from Naturally on High in Thornbury, the Fruit Peddlers in Northcote, or CERES in Brunswick.

TimT said:
You can usually get a couple of varieties of milk from natural food stores that are better for cheesemaking too. In Melbourne we get our milk from Naturally on High in Thornbury, the Fruit Peddlers in Northcote, or CERES in Brunswick.

Ah the old "Cosmetic Use Only" Milk

We just get the homogenised-but-pasteurised variety (so, NOT bath milk). That name 'bath milk' drives me crazy, BTW. Milk to me is a food - it seems to me outrageous to use food as a frickin beauty product. And there are people nutso enough to do it.

We just get the homogenised-but-pasteurised variety (so, NOT bath milk). That name 'bath milk' drives me crazy, BTW. Milk to me is a food - it seems to me outrageous to use food as a frickin beauty product. And there are people nutso enough to do it.
Actually I think "bath milk" is a way of selling unpasteurised milk without breaking the law. Most people drink it!

Latest posts

Back