Anyone Thought About Using A Conical For Biab?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBastard

Reaction score
Anyone thought about using an SS conical fermenter as a boiler, and using the tap at the bottom to extract boil trub in the same way you'd use it to extract yeast mid-fermentation?

I'm thinking because it can hold pressure you'd be able to do a BIAB in it, then at the end seal it off and perhaps all the steam would cover you for infections at least for 24 hours until yeast pitching time. Suck the trub out the bottom and pitch the yeast.

I can't see myself buying a conical but thought it was an interesting idea.

No reason it wouldn't work perfectly - migth be a little rough on the fermenter seals etc... But they are the same stuff you'd use in a kettle anyway really.

You would have to completely finish one batch right through to packaging before you started your next batch - so it would limit your flexibility some, but thats about the only down side i can see. I mean apart from the usual objections to no-chill ithe kettle, one of which you get rid of with this idea by being able to dump the kettle trub quickly.

Expensive kettle though.

Anyone thought about using an SS conical fermenter as a boiler, and using the tap at the bottom to extract boil trub in the same way you'd use it to extract yeast mid-fermentation?

I'm thinking because it can hold pressure you'd be able to do a BIAB in it, then at the end seal it off and perhaps all the steam would cover you for infections at least for 24 hours until yeast pitching time. Suck the trub out the bottom and pitch the yeast.

I can't see myself buying a conical but thought it was an interesting idea.

Oh yeah a very appealling concept <half a woody thinkin bout it>. :D

I think Mark is only proposing the functionality of his thoughts and not the actual 'reality' of it being made true... **** who has 9 hunge PLUS to spend on a BIAB rig?

Sorry, M_B if I am assuming your thoughts/intentions of this thread...

I love the fact that BIAB has gone from a simple, one vessel 'solution' to be able to brew AG, to people 'evolving' the idea with bucket sparging, jackets for their urns [Barley Belly] and people winning awards by mastering the art [BribieG, etc]

So yeah, over all a Conical would be an awesome vessel as MB has described but IMO defeats the actual notion of what BIAB is in essence, a cheap one vessel way to make AG, correct me if I am wrong here... similar to any brewing method we are gonna keep expanding the possibilities by developing better methods and equipment etc - look at herms/rims - what will be next?

I have no idea why I have ranted on about this but now its typed I will post it.

Cheers

Ok bed..

Cocko you are correct. I would never buy a conical. My fermenters cost under 20 bucks and do the job well. However if you already had one you'd only need the immersion elements which I think makes this a fairly practical idea.

I particularly like the idea of sucking out the trub. Even 3v brewers could try that part out.

BIAB evolving? Is this the devolution revolution evolution?
The OP suggests that BIAB is more prone to infections, which of course is ludricous cause most brewers never have infections on any system because they sanitise.
Whilst I am yet to be convinced of the economic benefits of BIAB I do recognise it as an albiet simple but none the less popular introduction to AG, pretty much KKK but with milled grain rather than a can.
I do not claim to make silk purses, but if I were I might invest in a mulberry tree,

K

Whilst I am yet to be convinced of the economic benefits of BIAB I do recognise it as an albiet simple but none the less popular introduction to AG, pretty much
K

Hang on to your special hat, How do you say it is not 'evolving' ? With many making various pieces of kit to enhance the process?

So it is not cheaper to buy ONE pot, especially a keggle that may be extremely cheap, and a means to boil it + bag, over 3 vessels etc??... K?

Anyway, a little OT here so will retract from the above discussion.

Cheers

Some people - while having the money, space, skill etc to brew with a multi vessel system - simply like to brew via BIAB. Which is why they are evolving their systems but not changing brewing methods.

I personally think that the "evolutions" that add complexity and tend to bring the systems closer to 3V systems are in fact a bit silly, but something like building/buying a boiler specifically to combine BIAB and No-Chill - well that's something to save time and complexity of process and if you have the money... why not?

I like BIAB, I have brewed and tasted a shitload of BIAB beers and the quality is just as good as via any other method, and the process is simpler and easier - If I were just going on what I think is sensible, I would change from 3V brewing to BIAB brewing... but it happens that I really enjoy brewing on my RIMS and I don't want to change. I cant see why that same thing shouldn't apply to BIAB brewers who want to progress their systems, but who actually like the BIAB process.

As I've pointed out in a couple of tutes and articles I've had posted on forums and newsletters, you can easily knock up a simple 3V system more cheaply than doing BIAB in an electric urn with a tailor made bag so cost of entry isn't really the issue, and BIAB isn't an "entry" to AG with the inevitable progression to 3V or HERMs along the lines of "ideal first car but you will invariably progress to owning a BMW"
3v is a scaled down version of commercial Victorian Breweries because that's how beer was "always" made, and the reason for that was because it was the only practicable way of handling hundreds of gallons of product in a sensible fashion.

However at home, we only brew to typical lengths such as 23 L which doesn't require Steel's Mashers, steam cranes or tower breweries, so this gives us the freedom to use other methods that can produce beer without being slavishly attached to commercial style systems. As I posted in another thread we don't drive a cute little 1/3 model Kenworth Prime mover plus B double to pick up a bottle of milk at the Supermarket because that's how commercial road transport operates, we drive a Barina.

The reason that BIAB is often illogically perceived as an entry level system is that most current grain brewers are by historical accident 3v already and don't need to throw out their familiar and beloved kit and go BIAB, so BIABers tend almost exclusively to be new AG brewers. Rather than "entry level brewers" - to take examples of other new technologies in other fields, we could be more accurately described as "early adopters", like the people who initially bought Plasmas and LCD tvs whilst the mass still persisted with CRT boxes.

I've been PMing with one 3v brewer who is going to .. in his own words..."step up" to BIAB , and I also know a local brewer who is itching to get to a BIAB demo brew day so he can see if this can simplify his setup which actually has a lot of Blichmann gear etc... he just doesn't have the time to be doing 8 hour brew days and cleaning mounds of admittedly high end and blingy gear afterwards.

I'm surprised that there's still a lot of misapprehension about BIAB still out there - mostly from very experienced brewers even of the 'rank' of Graham Wheeler in the UK who just dismiss it - often condescendingly as "well we all know that BIAB is inferior and it will all blow over soon, and we can get back to running our mini-Victorian-tower breweries nudge wink" And of course gas will never yield to those silly new electric light bulbs and those will blow over as well. This year I think is a good opportunity to have a coordinated BIAB push during the forthcoming comp season and get some definite independent and not condescending runs on the board.. I'll be organising a bit of a task force and watch this space B)

end rant.

I think a ss conical would be really good with a couple of over the side immersion heaters. However following a failed no-chill-in-urn experiment that happened to me, I'd be wanting to use an immersion counterflow chiller to get the temp down, then oxygenate and pitch ASAP. A conical, especially if doing a big batch, is a poor surface to volume vessel for no chilling, my urn was still at around 37 degrees the next morning and by the time I could run it out into the fermenter and get to pitching temp some nasty had started breeding in it anyway. But as a one vessel system - provided cooling could be arranged - it should work just fine.

Edit: and because if you could afford a SS conical and were doing it because you liked BIAB and money were no object you could probably afford a glycol driven cooling system and could use that as an attemperator in the early part of fermentation as well.

The OP suggests that BIAB is more prone to infections, which of course is ludricous cause most brewers never have infections on any system because they sanitise.
Whilst I am yet to be convinced of the economic benefits of BIAB I do recognise it as an albiet simple but none the less popular introduction to AG, pretty much KKK but with milled grain rather than a can.
I do not claim to make silk purses, but if I were I might invest in a mulberry tree,

K

Why even contribute if you're going to post crap like that? I said nothing about BIAB being more prone to infections (how cold that be possible?) and the rest of your post is just BS.

To be specific on what this thread is about:

* Would boil trub suck out the bottom of a conical SS vessel in the same way yeast does?
* Would the way the lid seals on a conical, including it being able to hold pressure, save the batch from infection for 24-48 hours?
* Other possibilities like Bribie may have perhaps alluded to, like using the same chilling system you'd use for fermenting to chill the wort to pitching temps.

This is all theoretical discussion. Do not talk about costs or BIAB in general please.

Still OT but totally agree with Bribie's comments.

BIAB is perfect for me (& I assume others) for 2 reasons.
1) Space - It sits in the corner of my car port & I don't have to move it. Minimal space required. As it only takes up the size of a 50L keg
2) Time - when you have young kids it's hard to justify an 8hr brew day. However I can justify 4 hrs.

Cost was never an option when I decided to go AG.

Cheers, Mat.

Without trying to add too much fuel to the AG 3V vs BIAB fire (both make beer as far as I'm concerned)

BIAB is perfect for me (& I assume others) for 2 reasons.
1) Space - It sits in the corner of my car port & I don't have to move it. Minimal space required. As it only takes up the size of a 50L keg
Just on this - my 3V system sits in the back of my shed, on a brewstand, taking up not much more physical space than I would expect from a skyhook and an urn. Just sayin'.

2) Time - when you have young kids it's hard to justify an 8hr brew day. However I can justify 4 hrs.
Just curious - who is taking 8 hours for an AG 3V brewday? I regularly do a 90 minute mash, 90 minute boil, and with 30 mins to heat strike water, 30 minutes to get the sparge out and boiling, and maybe half an hour cleanup, that's still under 5 hours. Cleanup requires emptying and cleaning the kettle and mashtun, which is exactly the same number of items as an urn and a bag. I don't see where that saving of 4 hours is coming from.

Back to the OP - I would worry about the conical valve getting clogged with hops (depending on how much you use/whether you use a hopsock or not) - sure, it can handle protein trub of a similar consistency to yeast, but once that baby is clogged you're kinda screwed, yeah?

[Edit: AG 3V - posting before coffee = bad idea. ]

Back to the OP - I would worry about the conical valve getting clogged with hops (depending on how much you use/whether you use a hopsock or not) - sure, it can handle protein trub of a similar consistency to yeast, but once that baby is clogged you're kinda screwed, yeah?

Thanks. Is the valve smaller diameter than a typical tap on a kettle? I would understand flowers plugging it up but you get that same issue with a 'normal' tap on a kettle. Still that's a good point as you wouldn't really be able to use a false bottom on a conical like you would a kettle.

I reckon this could be a tops idea... truly a single vessel system. My only query is if the break material would in fact suck out the bottom of the conical. Can't really see why not. If you were concerned about the valve clogging you could always use your BIAB bag as a big hop sock.

To add another factor in the mix... how much pressure does a conical hold? Serving tank anyone? Not practical on a production line type of thing, ie one batch at a time till you run out and have to brew again. But it'd be a pretty cool concept. To mash and boil in it, cool in it, ferment in it, pressurize and serve from it.

:icon_offtopic: As for the argument about space, time and quality with 3V vs BIAB, unless you've done both, experienced and tasted the results from both, all arguments for one or the other hold no weight. To me there is absolutely no discernible difference in the finished product if producing the beer via 3V or BIAB. The only difference i have noted (and it really couldn't be any less significant) is the clarity of the wort into the kettle. Out of the kettle however, no difference, as clear as each other.

3V suits my lifestyle and requirements. BIAB did at one time and probably will again in the future. I have no want to get rid of my bag and will most probably employ it as a giant hop sock at any rate. Or even as a belt and braces measure if i ever decide to do a large proportion rye or wheat to potentially assist with lautering.

Latest posts

Back